585,728 active members*
4,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > VM20i ATC throwing tools

VM20i ATC throwing tools

Hey guys,

Urgent help needed!
    First off, I am new to machining and have very limited knowledge about how to solve problems so bare with me.

To explain what happend:

I ran a program in my VM20i with a data block to chamfer the contour on an aluminum bit. However, I have accidently placed the bit on the wrong fixture in the vise.
    This made the chamfer tool to run into the aluminum piece instead of running along the contour obviously. I stopped the program and had the tool out of the spindle to see if I had damaged the tool.

No big deal to be seen but when I places the tool back into the spindle and clamped it up and should engage the ATC to move the tool back in the carousel, it just fell down on the table. This tool is now placed on the bench instead and I was scratching my head.

I then had a look in the ATC diagnostics and saw nothing wrong which made me try yet another tool to see what happend. The ATC arm performed a tool change from the carousel and this time
    the ATC arm, just before it should clamp in the spindle, threw the tool away.

Something seems to be wrong with the ATC arm not clamping the tool properly in place. I have also checked the spring loaded plungers where the tool are located. They are not stucked and I can push a tool manually in place. It seems like those plungers dont holds the tool in place while performing a tool change?

I appreciate any input on this. Hurco´s support is closed and I´m going nuts here!

Cheers,
    Chris

Re: VM20i ATC throwing tools

Spindle out of alignment with ATC. Caused by the crash.

Atc arm is either out of alignment. or most likely the spindle orient is off due to crash.(skipped a couple of cogs on the spindle belt)
    First thing to check is spindle orient alignment with the key in the tool change arm. with no tool in the spindle go back into atc diagnostics
    orient spindle
    move Z axis to tool change height
    put a empty tool pocket down(move to empty pocket using magazine rotate CCW or CW, or just pull the tool from the pocket)
    rotate the arm to 60 degrees the short key on the spindle should be inline with the key on the tool change arm.
    if the two are not inline spindle belts will need to be checked and orient adjusted on the spindle drive.
    if they are in line with each other. then the tool change arm needs to be checked with a tool in the spindle to make sure it is fully engaging the tool.

Case closed! Thank you for prompt replies.

It was the ATC arm that was out of alignment and could not clamp the tool properly, resulting in the tossing!
    Big thank you again. you really help me out here.