586,011 active members*
4,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3, DMM servo Drive Encoder hookup

I need help figuring out how to wire up the encoder output of my DMM Dyn4 drives to allow Mach3 to read the actual encoder output. Attached is the pinout of the Drive encoder output but I have no idea how to go about hooking it up to Mach3. I want to do this for all 3 axis.

My setup is;

Bridgeport Clone (enco) knee mill

3 DMM Dyn4 drives
    3 DMM servo motors with encoders
    1 DMM Break Out Board DBM4250-8B
    Windows XP Computer running Mach3

Any help here?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JP5 Encoder Output.jpg  
    Necessity is the mother of all invention (unknown)
    My club home page www.lhmac.org

Re: Mach3, DMM servo Drive Encoder hookup

bump for help

Has nobody done this before?

Ill bite... what you are trying to do is not possible or how things are done. the loop is closed back to the drive not mach3 there should be an error signal coming out of the drives for them to tell mach that they are loosing steps but to my knowledge there is no facility for reading the encoders in mach3.

have you gotten this up and running I am looking at purchasing the DYN4 servo drives and motors which motors are you using

thank you
    archie

Archie,

There is a section in Machs' ports and pics for Encoder inputs. The Dyn4 drives have the outputs on JP5. I figured there had to be some way to wire it up.

I am just about done working the bugs out of my system. I am not sure what machine you are planning on using these on but I had to add a decent amount of reduction to get my Z axis to work. my X and Y are working fine with a 2:1 reduction on the ball screws. I am running the .75kw servos 86M-DHT-A6MK1

Here is my thread on the z axis issues: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...310-cnc-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by jeep534 View Post
    Ill bite... what you are trying to do is not possible or how things are done. the loop is closed back to the drive not mach3 there should be an error signal coming out of the drives for them to tell mach that they are loosing steps but to my knowledge there is no facility for reading the encoders in mach3.

have you gotten this up and running I am looking at purchasing the DYN4 servo drives and motors which motors are you using

thank you
    archie
    That is correct Mach3 can't close the loop, well not without the use of other hardware, then it can be done, Mach3 can read an encoder for Dro and Handwheel use

Servo's like this do not lose steps, they can overshoot Etc, if not set up correctly, and will fault out if the don't reach their target position, this is usually just a setup problem
    Mactec54

I was wanting to use the encoder feedback so I could manually operate the machine using the Mach3 display. This would also allow me to remove all my glass scales and DRO. I already have a relay setup do disable the motors so I can manually turn each axis.

YOu can bring teh encoder signals from J5 on your drives into Mach3 as an encoder input and set up the encoder input so it is accurate. Once you have the signal coming into Mach3 properly you can setup DROs(new page) for each axis so you can SEE the axis positions based on the encoder counts.

NOW you cannot turn OFF the servo drives you would use enable /disable. That way the encoder stay powered up AND teh drive can pass through teh signals to J5 output.

That is it in a nutshell, (;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    YOu can bring teh encoder signals from J5 on your drives into Mach3 as an encoder input and set up the encoder input so it is accurate. Once you have the signal coming into Mach3 properly you can setup DROs(new page) for each axis so you can SEE the axis positions based on the encoder counts.

NOW you cannot turn OFF the servo drives you would use enable /disable. That way the encoder stay powered up AND teh drive can pass through teh signals to J5 output.

That is it in a nutshell, (;-) TP
    Yeah that's what I thought. My hangup is how do I get the signals from J5 into Mach so they play nice together? My relay disables the motor but the drives stay on so that part is right.

Look in Mach3 encode/MPG setup page and it should be obvious for each encoder A+ goes to A+ , A- to A- , B + to B+ , B- to B- , etc,etc IF you do not have enough free pins you can add a second LPT just for this function. Aslo be aware though with very high encoder counts and fast high speed moves MACH3 may loose count with teh encoders Due to Mach3s sampling rate . For this situation there is an add on board designed to overcome the problem. The board has built in high speed counters to track teh encoders at high speed properly and report to Mach3.

I will look up the name of the board for you just in case.

(;-) TP

Look in Mach3 encode/MPG setup page and it should be obvious for each encoder A+ goes to A+ , A- to A- , B + to B+ , B- to B- , etc,etc IF you do not have enough free pins you can add a second LPT just for this function. Aslo be aware though with very high encoder counts and fast high speed moves MACH3 may loose count with teh encoders Due to Mach3s sampling rate . For this situation there is an add on board designed to overcome the problem. The board has built in high speed counters to track teh encoders at high speed properly and report to Mach3.

I will look up the name of the board for you just in case. Here it is Page Title

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post

I will look up the name of the board for you just in case. Here it is Page Title

(;-) TP
    With the Dmm Dyn4 Drives using the encoder output from the drive, this can be set to 500 which should be fine for mach3
    Mactec54

ok, Thanks for the information. I'll have to wait a bit till this mill starts paying for it's self before I order that board. I will just leave my DRO hooked up for when I need manual mode right now.

Thanks for all the input and help!