585,763 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > "The parameter is incorrect"

"The parameter is incorrect"

Hello group,

I have needed to re-install Bobcad v24 do to computer problems and now when I try to post a tool path I get this error message "The parameter is incorrect". When I post and save it works fine.

I am only using a roughing tool and have place a "0" in the finishing tool place. Before I had to re-install it worked fine.

Thanks for all the help!

Eric

If you can't post without using post and save, then it s your nc file path. You 'll hav to get into your current settings and change the nc file path to a directory that you can write to.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Thanks Al that worked!

Eric

Re: "The parameter is incorrect"

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    If you can't post without using post and save, then it s your nc file path. You 'll hav to get into your current settings and change the nc file path to a directory that you can write to.
    Thank you for this clue.
    This works when I use "Post and Save As" but I'm not finding where to set the default directory in V24. I've looked in Preferences->Settings Default->Directories and found
    • Temp
    • Backup
    • Project
    • Images
    • Features

Quote Originally Posted by DontBeLate View Post
    Thank you for this clue.
    This works when I use "Post and Save As" but I'm not finding where to set the default directory in V24. I've looked in Preferences->Settings Default->Directories and found
    • Temp
    • Backup
    • Project
    • Images
    • Features
    Not looking in the right place I`m afraid

See the image below, open V24 and left click on "Milling Tools" to highlight it, now right click on it and from the list that appears select "Current Settings", the screen in the image should appear, make sure that "Machine" tab is selected and if you look lower down you will see the "NC File Path" box that should be "greyed out" as in the image and should show the path as in the image, if it doesn`t then click on the "Select" button and navigate through to the correct folder as shown in the image attached.

Attachment 301524

Hope this helps some

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Not looking in the right place I`m afraid

See the image below, open V24 and left click on "Milling Tools" to highlight it, now right click on it and from the list that appears select "Current Settings", the screen in the image should appear, make sure that "Machine" tab is selected and if you look lower down you will see the "NC File Path" box that should be "greyed out" as in the image and should show the path as in the image, if it doesn`t then click on the "Select" button and navigate through to the correct folder as shown in the image attached.

Attachment 301524

Hope this helps some

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thanks. There seems to be a lot of settings in places I would not expect to find them
    Any knowledge of a UI cleanup in subsequent versions that clean up the the usability?

Quote Originally Posted by DontBeLate View Post
    Thanks. There seems to be a lot of settings in places I would not expect to find them
    Any knowledge of a UI cleanup in subsequent versions that clean up the the usability?
    Yes, they have evolved it somewhat, but not the way you are thinking they should. The settings are there because if you have V25 or newer there is a major upgrade in how the simulation happens. All the default and current settings for the machine are done in the CAM window, and they have determined (rightly in my opinion) that the settings for the output folder for NC files should be lumped with the related machine post processor file location, cutting conditions file location and the tool pattern file location. In V26 and V27 (can't recall for V25), they also move the NC Output Folder to the same tab in the settings as where you set the default location and name of the post processor to be used with the current machine definition, which makes even more sense, though they drop the cutting conditions and tool pattern portions from the machine definition and have them as separate things in the drip down menu when you first go to the current cam settings in the CAM window. I guess that the more you use the software, the more it makes sense for it to be there, not just because you know it's there now, but also because it relates best to the settings for the machine. You can have a different output path for different machines, instead of having a single output path like you would if it were in the system preferences. Change machines, and the output path can be different.

One thing I've always found is that while I use the "Post" function rather then "Post and Save", I still end up right clicking the middle of the post processed text and doing a "Save As" after posting it anyways. I never really pull the file from the NC output path folder, since it's just faster to do a "Save As", but I also don't like to do the "Post and Save As" because I want to see the file before I save it just to be sure it looks as expected in terms of the first tool, etc. I have a ton of NC files in those output folders for the various versions of Bobcad, but I've never once used any of them. I always "Save As" to a jump drive directly, but at least the files are there as a backup if I ever need them I guess. That part of the workflow could use a little rethinking in my opinion. "Post" should maybe do as it does now, saving the file to the set output folder. "Post and Save As" may be better if it would show the code without saving it anywhere initially, but allow you to see it prior to committing to save it. That's a little thing though, and it works OK as it is.