585,663 active members*
3,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > question about solid works sketch to bobcad

question about solid works sketch to bobcad

So I'm making a pcb board for a probe, I drew out a sketch in solid works cause I don't like bobcad, is there anyway to open that in bobcad and use it to make the tool path? Without actually making a 3d part, basically the tool path would just need to cut around single line with a v tool. Thanks

Re: question about solid works sketch to bobcad

I'm not sure that a sketch will mean anything to Bobcad since it is sort of used as background information for Solidworks, or at least that's the way I understand it. If it doesn't show up, there probably isn't any way to use it. I have had clients export DXF files from Solidworks, so maybe there is a way to export sketches as DXFs?

Bear on mind that I don't know Bobcad, but in Solidworks you can create a sketch then go to save it using "save as" and rather than saving it as a part file (the normal default) save it as a dxf file.
    Most cad systems can open dxf files and you should have a file with the sketch as line graphics and any dimensions you have defined.

Hopefully Bobcad can do the rest for you.

Best Regards Sarah

Just click save as and select DXF. It will want to save it as a annotation but it still works.

Forrest

Cool thanks, cause yeah when you open a standard part file that's a sketch it's blank.

Chevy,

This is correct. In BobCAD, the only information we pull out of a .sldprt is the solid information. There are a few different methods that can be done to bring out the sketch, such as exporting the file as a DXF as Sarah recommended. You can also sketch inside a drawing and then export out the drawing as a dxf/dwg from within the SolidWorks drawing module.

I use Eagle for pcb s but i draw In turbocad and use bobcad for cam for 3D i use iges Format in 2D dxf is ok i Hope that helps

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Is eagle best suited for pcb? I'm already concerned about running an endmill on a single line and how to comp for it, do I need to draw everything in relation to the diameter of the end mill so that my wanted dimensions are correct? Or when I tell bobcad to comp left is it going to cut the outside like a normal 3d part would?

hi chevydyl eagle workflow is draw the circuit in one pane you have a library of almost all parts and if not draw your own part. then you have 2 nd pane where the pcb layout is. then you arrange the pars on your pcb like in real world tell it if single sided pcb or double etc where the drills are shape of pcb ( this layer you can export in dxf for milling if nreded ) then you use pcb-gcode or similar script to produce your gcode i use a version which has autolevveling but that is another story if you do lets say an alu casing out of a block you would start from that dxf import i hope that clears the subject a little of course you can send your drawing or gerber export to an manufacturer

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the help, it worked exactly as I needed it to.

hi does it mean you followed my toolchain or some other solution ?