585,888 active members*
4,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Strange problem Okuma MX-55VA

Strange problem Okuma MX-55VA

Hello, I am new here and have one bad problem with this milling machine. Controler is OSP-U100L, connected to server pc with ethernet cable, running DNC. Everything worked well for several years. One day suddenly machine crashes during milling, OK, maybe error in some offset, checked.
    Seems OK. Start again, few hours later alarm 2206 Alarm B :Expression syntax 5. There was one - sign added to sixth line of program. Checked program at server, everything OK. Next day, new day, new alarm 2215 Alarm B: Program bad direct:numerical data 2. No clue.
    Third day stops again, two dot sign added to program line Z25..254. And so on. Checked ethernet cables, switches, new cable, connection directly to server without switches, same thing. Called Okuma service, they send a service man, says that the HHD raid is bad, red led blinking. Replace failed disk, no red led, same situation on machine, randomly add - or . or G sign to program line.
    Okuma replaced TCP/IP board. Same problem. Replaced SCSI card for HDD, same problem. Sometimes misplace a dot in the number for example instead of Z 23.245 wrote Z234.45 with , cause error. I am lost. What else we can exchange?

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20151113_065458(1).jpg   IMG_20151201_065803.jpg  

Re: Strange problem Okuma MX-55VA

if the ethernet cable is too long, you can add a hub middle of cable.

You mentioned server PC. Does that mean it is a stand alone PC or a networked computer? Has anyone tried connecting the machine directly to a laptop of PC with a new cable?

Yes, that was the first thing. Direct connection from networked PC to machine with new cable.All other machines disconected, only Okuma-switch-PC. Same problem. Other machines connected to this PC has no problems.

I hate to ask the obvious but you have verified that the transmitted file has none of the errors when viewed on the PC , right?

Has any other new equipment or lighting been added recently ? Sometimes electrical interference can cause these hiccups.

Is the Ethernet cable shielded?

Can you transfer a large file back and forth to the machine successfully without using DNC ?

Usually Ethernet is much more stable than RS232, and checks the packets it receives thus avoiding these problems.

One last idea, see if the same cable routing can transfer PC TO PC with no problems.

Best regards,

Thank you for your suggestions. I transmit the same single file ,all over again. Hundreds of times is OK, sometimes not. The error is very rare, but fatal for production.From what I understand, that machine request the file from server, server transmit file to machine TCP/IP card this card to HDD, then machine call the file from the HDD to memory. I know, that the TCP/Ip is one of the most reliable protocols. Is there any way, to control TCP/IP packets, or enable some kind of double check on transmission? I suspect that error came from communication between HDD and internal machine memory.

regards

Thank you for your suggestions. I transmit the same single file ,all over again. Hundreds of times is OK, sometimes not. The error is very rare, but fatal for production.From what I understand, that machine request the file from server, server transmit file to machine TCP/IP card this card to HDD, then machine call the file from the HDD to memory. I know, that the TCP/Ip is one of the most reliable protocols. Is there any way, to control TCP/IP packets, or enable some kind of double check on transmission? I suspect that error came from communication between HDD and internal machine memory.

regards
    Last edited by torentone; 12-28-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: double post

Your theory of operation is correct. The PC to PC test should prove if it is in the transmission or in the machine memory. The HDD is sending to RAM when running in DNC mode so you can not check file in advance. If you turn off DNC and transfer to MD1: you would be able to check the file in Machine lock before running to see if it is a transmission problem. RAM is tested on power up so it should be ok if you are not seeing any errors. HDD could have bad sectors but not likely since you replaced it.

Please perform the PC test several times to make sure it is not in the transmission.

Thank you for your advices. I have try the transmission several times, but with small files, no problem arrises. Will try bigger files, exactly the file, which has allready caused errors. So, if I understand you correcty, I must turn off the DNC. how I turn off DNC? Disable switch buffer operation?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DNC operation.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	302165.Then I must copy the large file from PC to MD1 and check it? The files are realy big, more than 10000 lines.

regards

Yes you must turn off the DNC and reboot the machine. Then you can transfer to memory. Check your directory to determine how large of a file you can transfer.

Best regards,