585,914 active members*
3,839 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Reverse engineering

Can we taken a proven G-Code program, import to Pro-E and create a new program in the Pro-E machining format? Thanks in advance

Hey,

No, sorry thats not the way it works. There are a few workarounds though but they are expensive and/or tedious.

1. Buy vericut. The basic version ships with ProE but with additional licensing you can simulate G-Code (not only CLdata) and then you can export the resulting geometry for importing into ProE. Works pretty good for 2.5 axis maching but the surface can get rather complex and produce alot of nonintersecting patches. You will have to reprogram the part after import into ProE.

2. Program your own reversed postprocessor that translates your Gcode to line and arc segments that can be read by ProE(iges is easy to do yourself). Then you will have to redesign the whole part with the help of those curves. Pretty tedious and I guess only viable for really simple parts. still....

/J

I agree with Jonas, Vericut is probably the only way to go for complex part programs the only problem is I believe the last time I checked it was 15 or 20k for the module.
    Joe