584,879 active members*
5,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digitizing probe accuracy?

I just ordered the digitizing probe kit and am curious how people are using it in their setup? I have a program that I am thinking of setting it up in. I have parts that are castings so one tip of the part gets a hole but needs to be centered and you cannot count on its position being a casting I want to use the probe as a tool that comes in close to the part that is roundish find center setting the next tool hole position for drilling. Anyone use this probe like this? I use pathpilot.

Re: Digitizing probe accuracy?

after scanning you need to fix the model..
    probably it will be a high dense stl mesh..

with meshmixer you can reduce triangle count..

then selecting the ""hole"" you can move it..

if it were a ""simpler"" part then just make a new model..
    the scanning or digitizing worth where surface complex..

example a lid, with centerhole and gasket grove might not worh to digitizing..

Sure. If you program the part in CAM so that the hole center is X0Y0 then you could use the probe to find the center, set that as origin, and then run your GCode program to drill, etc.

IF you are using teh probe to locate a feature on the part it is simple, you move to the feature location then run a probe routine to find the center of that feature. Once you are at the center then reset the axis dros at that location as it is defined in your Gcode file. Now you can run the part and the holes will line up properly to the part . That is the way that castings are normaly dealt with unless you have dedicated fixturing that will position it in an exact position every time.

It can be done with a probe or manually.

(;-) TP

I am thinking more like the possibility of a macro so the probe is simply ran like a tool it comes in finds zero from a start point and goes out then the tool comes in and uses that found position to drill. It is one of many operations on the program. The pars are casting so they can vary so they cannot be held in the exact position cause if forced can create stress cracks within. I then want to do the same for a center drill after rotating the part it's in the forth axis.

Hi, a couple of jobs I once did (manual milling) involving forged aluminium bronze components, were mounted onto a flat steel plate like a pallet.....this enabled the part to be preset to the required exact location for machining with the pseudo pallet held in a machine vice on parallels etc.
    Ian.