585,926 active members*
3,908 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Seized Z-Axis?

I have a new to me Lagunmatic 3516-SX I am trying to get up and running. It has a Dynapath Delta 40M control installed.

After sorting out some faults related to the toolchanger, I was able to jog the X-axis but Y and Z would both fault out, saying no motion was detected.

The DC servo have encoders amrhat are used by the control for position feedback. No linear scales installed.

I swapped the Y-axis motor with the X and it worked, so then I started swapping servo amp cards. There were 4 installed (X, Y, Z, A) and I determined all but Y were good.

I swapped all good cards to X, Y, Z and disconnected the coupler on the Z-Axis to allow the motor to spin freely. I was able to jog X, Y, and Z motor did spin.

When I reconnect the coupler, I get the same fault on the Z-Axis. This leads me to believe the axis might be seized.

Has anybody dealt with this before? The servo doesn't have a brake and the column has a counterweight. The counterweight is not tied down as far as I can tell (in fact it was jostling around during transport).

My next step is to fully remove the Z motor and try to turn the screw manually but I was hoping for some advice as well.

Thanks!

Re: Seized Z-Axis?

Today I removed the Z motor and tried to turn the screw manually. I couldn't budge it. Not exactly sure what that means or what my next step should be...

Re: Seized Z-Axis?

Is there a break on the screw somewhere? Maybe the axis was bolted in place for transport. Seems strange it would be completely seized.

Ben