585,760 active members*
3,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Faro Gage

Faro Gage

ANYONE OUT THERE USING FARO GAGE ON SHOP FLOOR AS IN PROCESS INSPECTION EQUIPMENT? I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THIS PRODUCT FOR USE ON SHOP FLOOR TO EASE FIRST ARTICLE "BOTTLE KNECKS" IN CMM INSPECT. , AND IN PROCESS INSPECTION WITH DATTA COLLECTION. THANX.

Faro Gold Arm

Hi there I have never used the faro gage arm but have used the "Faro Gold Arm". In my experience I found the Gold arm to be inconsistent when it came to measuring certain features like large diameters, flatness, and long lengthens. I never had much confidence in the measurements it produced. With that said the arm I used was quite different from the faro gage arm it had a much larger range 12' and as far as I know it had a much larger tolerance of +-.0025 I would defiantly make faro prove that the gage arm works on the type of parts you make and then test there measurements to that of your fixed CMM

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi
    I just came back from an exhibition where Faro had all their kit. I was interested in their 'GAGE' model as you can use it virtually anywhere which suited me because I can't afford in-process inspection kit as well as a CMM. I actually finished up with a Renishaw prope capable of in-process inspection and final inspection. What was beneficial to me was the Renishaw ability to spot the differences between the CAD model and the machined component and feed the differences back to the machine controller to automatically adjust the machine offset to compensate. Faro didn't have this capability but I think they are on the case. Sorry to waffle on here, what I've said doesn't really seem relevant now I've read it back!!!!! I'm just gettin old!!!!