585,679 active members*
4,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas GR-510 ethernet to wifi connection success

Haas GR-510 ethernet to wifi connection success

Hi guys

Thought I would share my success with hooking up our Haas GR-510 router to our wireless network since there wasn't much info to be found online about this matter. The small amount of information I found mostly included expensive industrial routers and software. What I did was buy a cheap wireless router/bridge on ebay. In my case I chose "Vonets Portable Mini 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n Router AP Wifi Repeater/Bridge" for a whopping total of $15 including shipping . I'm sure there are others that works just as well or better and I think you could use an old router/bridge if you have one laying around. Mine didn't come with any instructions on how to set the thing up so I did a search on Youtube to find some answers.

This link had all the info I needed even though it wasn't being hooked up to a CNC-machine. The procedure when it comes to the Vonet setup is exactly the same.

Once I had that setup with our network I hooked it up to the CNC with a regular Ethernet cable. After that I went into the settings for NETSHARE on the machine controller and set those up and after some trial and error I got it working. If you try to find help online on this it almost seems impossible to get it to work correctly, so I will explain what settings I changed.

First the basics:

Our router is as I mentioned a HAAS GR-510 we bought 2013 with MOCON 17.12. It has USB and Ethernet option but no hard drive. Some of the people online who have had some success hooking it up to Ethernet say that if you have a hard drive in your machine it will show up on your network list on a computer hooked up to the network. I don't know if that is because it is hardwired to the network or if you have to map the drive in windows. Either way since we don't have a drive in ours I didn't find much help online.

SETTINGS

On our machine the NETSHARE settings are under the I/O tab on the settings page. They range from setting 900 to 916. They are pretty much set up as explained in the manual for the machine. I set those up as follows:

900 - CNC Network Name - GR510 (This is the name you want your machine to have on the network)
    901 - Obtain Address Automatically - ON (This fills settings 902, 903, 904 with asterisks)
    902 - IP Address ************* (Automatically filled if setting 901 is set to ON)
    903 - Subnet Mask ************* (Automatically filled if setting 901 is set to ON)
    904 - Gateway ************ (Automatically filled if setting 901 is set to ON)
    905 - DNS Server - 192.168.1.1 (This is the IP address for our wireless router. You might have to ask your IT people what it is)
    906 - Domain/Workgroup Name - WORKGROUP (This is the workgroup name you are networking in. Right click on "Your Computer" or "This PC" and then on "Properties" on the pop up menu to find out the workgroup name)
    907 - Remote Server Name - SHOP-PC (This is the name of the computer you have your CNC-programs on. Found the same way as setting 906)
    908 - Remote Share Path - ROUTER (This is the name of the folder you save your CNC-programs in. Explained in more detail below)
    909 - User Name - John Smith (This is the login name for the computer you have your CNC-programs on)
    910 - Password - XXXXXX (This is the password for the computer you have your CNC-programs on)
    911 - Access to CNC Share - FULL (This gives full access to the CNC hard drive (if you have one) from the network)
    912 - Floppy Tab Enabled - ON (Turns on USB floppy drive)
    913 - Hard Drive Tab Enabled - ON (Turns on hard drive)
    914 - USB Tab Enabled - ON (Turns on USB port)
    915 - Net Share - ON (Turns on access to server)
    916 - Second USB Tab Enabled - ON (Turns on secondary USB post)

For setting 908 I had to create a folder named "ROUTER" on the root hard drive on my computer (in most cases the C: drive) to see it on the machine. You can create subfolders inside this folder that you can access from the machine. The settings are explained in the manual if you need more information about them and some of them might not matter in all cases but this is how I set it up to work for us. I didn't have to use the network name or password on the machine since they are stored on the wireless bridge. Different machines might have different settings depending on the machine software. The one thing I have noticed is that sometimes I don't see the folder when going to the NETSHARE page and have to go back to the settings page and hit the F1 key to refresh the settings. Don't know why but it's a minor issue. Also beware that depending on distance to the machine and electrical interference the connection might not be stabile. I am pretty happy with getting it to work without spending hundreds or maybe thousands of dollars on hardware and software and I hope this helps if you are trying to hook up wifi to your CNC-machine. :banana:

I was configuring my 4Gx industrial modem and found your given instructions useful. But I am facing issue with "905 - DNS Server". Do I have to confirm it with my service provider or some other way?
    I am using this modem router of Intercel http://www.intercel.com.au/product-c...-modem-routers.
    Last edited by johnmina; 04-03-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: for adding the link of modem which I am facing issue

Great job!