585,722 active members*
3,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UCCNC units and setup

A few questions for my UCCNC UC100 with a leadshine MX4660 setup. My first cnc build!

1. Do I need to set metric or SAE for my units in the UCCNC? I don't see that as an option in manual or software. Is this all g-code driven from CAM software.. but then if I manually enter g-code of X100... what unit is 100? Inches, centimeters or millimeters?

My only other thought was that when you calibrate... your unit is whatever unit you use to measure the actual distance... so then you always have to output your g-code in the same units. UCCNC doesn't know or care what 100 is. In my case, I have 2510 and 2505 ball screws... even then it doesn't matter since calibration takes care of that... that's my assumption at least. Seems like a good way, you don't have know about the mechanical ratios and travel per turn... hopefully I'm right.

It's just not making sense from the docs.

2. Will "Port" settings always be 1 for the UC100... I'm mapping the Pin numbers to what my MX4660 needs, but I'm not sure if Port is just something for the UC300.

3. For limit and home switches I don't understand the "Active High" and "Active Low" stuff... is "Active High" when that configured pin goes from receiving 0 to 5 volts and that triggers the switch. "Active Low" would mean, it's triggered when it's receiving 5 volts but then the sensor stops sending the signal and it's now 0 volts?

In my case I'm using proximity sensors, NPN.NO with a 4mm inductance type. I'm guessing NO is for normally open, so when it's closed, it will send the 5 volts of current and I'll want to be "Active High"... so don't check the "active low" option.

Thanks for the patience with these newbie questions,.. my first cnc, lots of reading, digging through forums... I don't know what I don't know. Little stuff is hard at the moment, but I'm hopefully getting it. These may not even be uccnc specific.

Re: UCCNC units and setup

Hey,

You basicly answered all of your questions.
    The UCCNC does not care about the unit. The unit is set by the steps per value of the axis so the unit can be anything.
    The port# is always 1 for the UC100, it has only one port.
    The Active high/low setting is about if the signal is activated when going from low to high or from high to low.
    Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the confirmation. That helps a lot to know I'm on the right track.

I'll stick with the same units everywhere in design, CAM and g-code output. I thought some cnc controllers can convert between units... so that's why I thought it might need to know. Seems like most of the manual's settings indicate they are primed for metric and the unites are millimeters.

One more question...
    What's the reason for the default "Write offset on homing" settings for the z axis having a value of 50. That doesn't actually move the z axis when it homes by moving it up away from the work?? The homing already moved it to it's most upright position.... my guess is that it's just for safety precaution... but why?

This maybe a machine vs relative coordinate thing I need to figure out in my head.

Thanks again!

That Z setting was just NOT removed from the config file before it was made ready to download. YOU simply set it back to Zero or any other value if that is what you need. Then save.

Yes most Controllers can convert Gcode into to 2 basic conversions Metric(mm) and Imperial (inch) the Gcode switch code is G20 , G21

You need to think in terms of Machine coords and Work Coords . Rarely do you ever need to use Machine Coords for anything you do It is only used by the machine to know where it is in 3d space . All (99.99%) of your work will be in Work Coords ALSO know as work offsets.

(;-) TP

If you stick with one Unit for all jobs will be fine. In case you will need to use a different unit (so do I in some cases) then you can setup a new profile with different steps per values and load that profile for those jobs.

The offset is the Home/Reference position. Not all machines have it's home on 0,0,0 position, there can be reasons when the machine has to home backwards and the the maximum value (length) of that axis has to be the home position.
    You can change the home offset or reference position to any values on any axis.
    For the Z axis it often does not matter what is the home position, because you do not know the tool length yet (especially if it is a manual toolchange machine) and you do not know the material width, you want to zero the Z axis out on the surface hitting the tool and have that as the 0 value Z level. For this a tool length sensor or probe is a handy tool to have.

Thanks OlfCNC and vmax549 for the replies, very helpful! I always prefer to understand the meaning of these settings and when and why to use them so I'm not just blindly entering stuff and not really knowing what i'm doing.

The default of 50 offset for Z just had me confused since I know you zero it out for each job anyway. Tool sensor in the future for sure, for now the paper trick and all manual tool changes. If I actually do tool change mid program M6, I'm sure the tool offset will be used, that I understand. I'll need to find a nice tool sensor first and then an ATC if $$ is available, I just am starting with basic wood router.

Make sure you understand that the M6 does not control Tool Height offset directly. It is set from from Gcode with G43/G49 from inside of your Gcode program.

M49 < removes current tool comp
    M6T6 < Tool change function
    G43 H6 <- this sets the NEW tool height comp value

(;-) TP

For a simple manual toolchanger machine where you have to remove tools from the chuck/collet and place a new one manually I do not think you even need G43 and G49. I simply just set the Z DRO level in the M31 macro and that's it.
    You can make a call to M31 from M6 but what I do is I export different operations to different files and load them one after the other. This is the simples way for simple machines IMO.

Hello SKCNCX,
    How much you pay for UCCNC UC100? I do not see any price on their web.
    Txs.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello SKCNCX,
    How much you pay for UCCNC UC100? I do not see any price on their web.
    Txs.

http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=310

Thanks OlfCNC, I'll start simple on the tool change, your suggestions are a great way to ease into this when I'm ready.

I paid $119 for the UC100 and $35 for the license file for the software to connect to it from aquickcnc. Great to work with. The nice thing about UCCNC, is that I can put it on any PC and use the same license for all of them... the license is tied to the serial number on the UC100... so the license key is tied to the UC100... if you have two UC100 for different machines, you'll just need to license keys.

All these places sell them.
    A Quick CNC - High Quality Hobby CNC Kits
    https://cnc4pc.com/
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/