584,871 active members*
5,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > I can, but SHOULD I? (CO2 laser on Pro 4x2)

I can, but SHOULD I? (CO2 laser on Pro 4x2)

OK, I've figured out a really cool and relatively easy way to add a CO2 laser the Pro 4x2 machine. But to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic park..... I can, but SHOULD I?

Benefits: re-use existing linear motion parts to save money

Cons:
    - No enclosure for smoke collection from the laser cutting.
    - more risk of laser bouncing around when misaligned (I have a solution for that too).

Thoughts?

Re: I can, but SHOULD I? (CO2 laser on Pro 4x2)

If you can do it and you know it will work, I say go for it.

What laser are you going to use? Are you cutting or engraving with the laser?

I have a 120w Synrad laser and I tell you what, sometimes it can send some colorful smoke out of my building. Some plastics are very toxic when you cut them so be extremely careful about setting up a vacuum. I use a vacuum bed to keep parts in line and exhaust the smoke from my cutting. When I'm engraving or cutting some materials, I have to hook up my second vacuum to pull smoke up and outside to keep my shop from turning into a WW1 battlefield and gassing me out.

Lasers aren't anything to play around with so do your homework.

Do some research on lasers and you'll quickly figure out why it's a bad idea to make a laser/router combination. The quick answer is dust and laser optics are not friends. Get some dust on the optics and you'll be out a hundred plus bucks to replace mirrors and lenses.

Also Zamco, please do us all a favor, if you're cutting PVC with your laser, please stop. Not only are you killing yourself, your machine, but you're actively destroying the world.

Ross

I quickly learned that PVC is a no go on the laser. Didn't take me long to figure out that that stuff is not good for anyone or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    Do some research on lasers and you'll quickly figure out why it's a bad idea to make a laser/router combination. The quick answer is dust and laser optics are not friends. Get some dust on the optics and you'll be out a hundred plus bucks to replace mirrors and lenses.

Also Zamco, please do us all a favor, if you're cutting PVC with your laser, please stop. Not only are you killing yourself, your machine, but you're actively destroying the world.
    Thanks Ross, that's exactly the type of stuff I needed to know.

i really wanted to add a laser to my pro4848 but the more research i did, the more i realized i wasn't willing to risk my life(or at least my eye sight) with a laser running and no enclosure. i thought of many ways to set up shields and i can wear glasses and all that, but in the end, its a risk i wasn't willing to take. think seriously about the safety concerns before moving forward.

but if you do install it, make sure to document everything so that we can enjoy the show.

I have a laser diode that I run on my PRO 4848 as well as the 2.2 KW spindle. Knowing that laser optics don't like dust, it was made so removal of all the laser hardware was fast and easy. I don't have need of a high power Co2 laser and I understand there set up is done a bit different but I don't know why critical optics could not be made removable.

A New Zealander made his fume shoe the laser shield, He showed off his machine on YouTube. You could never get your eyes in line for a direct look at the beam. At best only a look from the side and that would be through a small gap. Anyhow, nothing is stupid proof. But you can make it pretty darn hard to get an eye injury.

As for cutting PVC with a laser, it falls in the category of things best left alone. It can be done, it just requires a specialized fume extractor to protect optics, equipment and health. Prior to discharge those fumes need to be scrubbed of chlorine gas. The gas scrubber is a system all of it's own that requires knowledge beyond the typical CNC enthusiast.