585,679 active members*
5,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Sprutcam 7 and Norton anti virus software

Sprutcam 7 and Norton anti virus software

My laptop got a virus in it and I had to do a complete reinstall of the factory software, that went well, but Sprutcam doesnt like Norton anti virus! I thought I would try the 30 day trial of Norton, but Sprutcam doesnt play well with it??

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

thanks for any input on this.
    mike sr

Re: Sprutcam 7 and Norton anti virus software

Yeah I had this problem several years ago and really developed a dislike for Norton. It almost acts like a Virus itself and I hated what it did to the performance of my machine. When I removed it I found that it left chunks of itself all over my system and I had to do a LOT of clean-up to eradicate it. After working with several options for AV I ended up settling on Kaspersky Lab's AV software and it played well with Sprut on my shop computer without bogging down my system. I'm running a Win8 laptop these days with no virus protection- we will call it tempting fate. You need to stay out of those "dark corners" of the internet Pops LOL! Just kidding :-) whoever these a$$holes are that create the viruses need to be flogged with no mercy! Unfortunately they are probably paid by Norton.....

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    My laptop got a virus in it and I had to do a complete reinstall of the factory software, that went well, but Sprutcam doesnt like Norton anti virus! I thought I would try the 30 day trial of Norton, but Sprutcam doesnt play well with it??

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

thanks for any input on this.
    Hi Mike
    My experiences with AV Software correlate exactly with those from "pickled". I started off using Norton (many years ago) but had quite a few problems. I've tried most major and several minor brands since but Kaspersky is the only one to work for me with zero issues.
    I run Kaspersky on all networked computers, only my Mach3 controller was allowed to run without. I work in a security concious company and we are regularly shown hacking demonstrations to raise awareness. There are tools out there to help hackers scan YOUR PC for vulnerabilities and its very easy to gain access if a victim has not installed security tools and doesn't regularly keep the operating system and applications updated. A recent hacking competition was apparently won by a young girl, I may not have this exactly correct but I seem to remember she was only 13 years old! (I invite any hackers out there to correct my post ).
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Yeah I had this problem several years ago and really developed a dislike for Norton. It almost acts like a Virus itself and I hated what it did to the performance of my machine. When I removed it I found that it left chunks of itself all over my system and I had to do a LOT of clean-up to eradicate it. After working with several options for AV I ended up settling on Kaspersky Lab's AV software and it played well with Sprut on my shop computer without bogging down my system. I'm running a Win8 laptop these days with no virus protection- we will call it tempting fate. You need to stay out of those "dark corners" of the internet Pops LOL! Just kidding :-) whoever these a$$holes are that create the viruses need to be flogged with no mercy! Unfortunately they are probably paid by Norton.....
    I do try to stay off sites with free software etc, and have been lucky for several years, this time I was looking to update windows drivers for Fusion 360, I have since gotten rid of that, cloud based and it seems really slow at times, and would be a pain to learn new software...

The virus or anomally was bing.XX, search engine that took over every time the browser was loaded.
    mike sr

Oh those are very annoying types to have on your machine! Glad that you were able to get that sucker booted! As you have gathered I'm running a near mirror of your production software here except I'm using the later version of Rhino 5 these days and loving it. I played around with the Fusion360 demo and it has potential, but I can really knock out designs in Rhino, hand off to Sprut and get to chips mighty quick these days. As a productivity and security enhancement I actually turned off the broad band at my commercial building to make it less easy to get "lost" on the www during slow times or when I'm lacking motivation. I have found that this moved has helped me gain approximately 1.5 hours of real hands on time back in my average day.

I still have a smart phone to use while I am there so my clients can get in touch if need be or I can search for information that is essential in the moment. To be honest over-communication can become a huge trap for the finite resources of businesses- this is especially true of a small business! A client that I am no longer working with would send me status update request emails 3 times/day and call equally as frequently to "touch base" on EVERY project even though we had a track record of rock solid adherence to established schedules. It was almost as if the individual wasn't "connected" that they couldn't feel accomplished. The subtle comment of, "When I am communicating with you your project is not advancing at a pace that is satisfactory" never even phased this guy. I was happy not to bid on any more of his work. FYI- since I cut the cord on the broad band I haven't picked up adware, spyware or NSA-Ware (LOL), since! Best of luck in keeping bug free in the future- Doug P.

I must be the outlier here. Norton has worked pretty well for me over the past decade and several SprutCAM upgrades. The only anomaly was with an obscure utility but the utility authors and Norton fixed that up after a couple of weeks.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I always set sprutcam.exe to run as administrator. Some (Dave from the UK Sprut site?) cautions that doing so can be important.

I appreciate all the replies!

Norton just didnt play well here, took me some time to figure out what was the culprit after a computer problem, software reinstall etc.I am being picky about my new tool table in Sprut, to see if I cam keep this one in numerical order ha! I did find out how to erase a bad entry as it doesnt have a back button, hitting the cancel button wont save the changed file if you dont like it for some reason.........

Kaspersky, I will look that one up, sounds good if it will run with Sprutcam.
    mike sr

All that you need to know is that Kaspersky is Russian too so they really like Sprut Comrade!
    :stickpoke

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Oh those are very annoying types to have on your machine! Glad that you were able to get that sucker booted! As you have gathered I'm running a near mirror of your production software here except I'm using the later version of Rhino 5 these days and loving it. I played around with the Fusion360 demo and it has potential, but I can really knock out designs in Rhino, hand off to Sprut and get to chips mighty quick these days. As a productivity and security enhancement I actually turned off the broad band at my commercial building to make it less easy to get "lost" on the www during slow times or when I'm lacking motivation. I have found that this moved has helped me gain approximately 1.5 hours of real hands on time back in my average day.

I still have a smart phone to use while I am there so my clients can get in touch if need be or I can search for information that is essential in the moment. To be honest over-communication can become a huge trap for the finite resources of businesses- this is especially true of a small business! A client that I am no longer working with would send me status update request emails 3 times/day and call equally as frequently to "touch base" on EVERY project even though we had a track record of rock solid adherence to established schedules. It was almost as if the individual wasn't "connected" that they couldn't feel accomplished. The subtle comment of, "When I am communicating with you your project is not advancing at a pace that is satisfactory" never even phased this guy. I was happy not to bid on any more of his work. FYI- since I cut the cord on the broad band I haven't picked up adware, spyware or NSA-Ware (LOL), since! Best of luck in keeping bug free in the future- Doug P.

Doug,

I like my Rhino!

I am just mainly a hobbyist though, I liked the Fusion program integration with CAM, was the reason I was trying it out. I soon realized that I would have to go thru the learning process again and I didnt find that too appealing ha!

The internet kills a lot of time here as well, being retired doesnt help either, but keeps me occupied with something other than TV..
    mike sr

Gotcha! Yeah I hear you about forcing yourself to learn something new when the benefits might not be all that great. I know how to use multiple CAM systems, but I just can't beat the bang for the buck that I have gotten out of my Sprut license. I've used many CAD programs over the years and I think that I'll probably be a Rhino guy for the foreseeable future. If I need to perform FEA or do thermal analysis I have access to colleagues that can get me set up with some time on the "big boy" engineering software systems, but if all I need to do is draw it's hard to beat the ease of use and import/export functionality of Rhino. SolidWorks is much nicer for simulating motion, but the cost is just not justifiable for me at this point.