586,013 active members*
3,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > X2 Belt Conversion + Manual Drawbar Tool Changer

X2 Belt Conversion + Manual Drawbar Tool Changer

Hello All. This will be my first thread posting on my X2 build. I've been reading a lot of threads over the last few months, and I finally bought my First X2 mill through HF. The first thing i"m doing is the belt drive conversion. However, I wanted also to do a Automatic Tool Changer. But after researching a lot of different forums and designs for a ATC for the X2, i came to the conclusion that a ATC based on a air was a little to much for now.

So, i've designed a manual drawbar for my X2. I came up with it after seeing the lever operated drawbar for the Tormach PCNC1100. I've also incorperated a set of spacers that will hold a set of bits just above the head too. Here's a set of pics i took from modeling the X2 head and motor assembly in my cad program on how it should look when i get it completed.

If my calculations are right, there will be about a 1:100 MA on the drawbar when the lever is pulled down.I want everyone's opinion on this kind of design.

Re: X2 Belt Conversion + Manual Drawbar Tool Changer

Don't know if you realize, but you posted in the mini LATHE forum. Regardless, There are a few considerations. You didn't show enough to see how yours actually works, but you said you based it off of a PCNC 1100 manual drawbar. The one I know of uses a hydraulic booster on the top of the spindle. This allows the lever to apply only a few hundred pounds of force to the top of the spindle and hence the spindle bearings. If you are using a hydraulic booster, then there isn't any problem. If you are only using a lever to apply the entire force to the top of the drawbar to release the bellevilles, then you will probably want to limit the amount of force that is applied to release the bellevilles.