585,982 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Trouble with 2.2kw Chinese spindle, need help with VFD settings
Page 1 of 4 123

Trouble with 2.2kw Chinese spindle, need help with VFD settings

I bought a 2.2KW spindle and VFD from ebay it is a 220v water cooled version. it says it is 2.2kw 220v 8.5 amps

I have been trying to get it working, but cannot seem to find the correct settings.

Currently I get a "A.o.A" flashing and then at about 4400 RPM I get an "E.oA.A" error.

My manual does not list those error codes, I found a manual online that lists the "E.oA.A" error, as an overload 150% condition. Still nothing about the A.o.A suspect it is some kind of imminent error state.

My settings are:
    PD003 400 Main Freq This is always called out to be set the same as the base\max frequencies, but if It seems to control the starting frequency. so not sure why I need it to start at 400, since I get the error at about 4500 rpm just ramping straight up to 400Hz does not help. Tried 0, then just had to manually ramp up. ended up with the same error state.
    PD004 400 Base Freq
    PD005 400 Max Operating Freq
    PD006 2.5 Intermediate Freq Tried 1-2.5, did not seem to matter
    PD007 0.5 Min Freq Tried up to 1.2 as found on different threads, did not seem to matter
    PD008 220 Max Voltage Tried 110, did not seem to matter
    PD009 15 Intermediate Voltage Tried from 6,8,10 for a while it would not run at over 8 so probably a combination of settings causing issues
    PD010 8 Min Voltage Tried from 4,6,8 -did not seem to matter
    PD011 120 Freq Lower Limit Tried 0-120
    PD014 10 Accel Time
    PD027 3 Starting Freq Started at factory default of 0.5 This seems to have taken me from the lower PD009 and 10 settings up to what most people are saying to use. (15, and 8) But I still cannot get past the 4500 RPM
    PD028 3 Stopping Freq started at factory default of 0.5
    PD070 1 Analog input not using external control yet.
    PD071 20 Analog Filter constant
    PD072 400 Higher Analog Freq
    PD073 120 Lower Analog Freq
    PD141 220 Rated Motor Voltage
    PD142 7 Rated Motor Current Tried 7-10 motor is supposed to be 8.5
    PD143 4 Motor Pole number Tried 2
    PD144 3000 Rated Motor Revolutions

I have tried adjusting multiple setting but cannot get the spindle to run pas about 4500 rpms (about 53-56 or so Hz)

Does anybody have any idea what to try?

I have verified I am getting 120v AC through each leg of the 220.

Thanks for any help that you may have
    Paul Myers

Re: Trouble with 2.2kw Chinese spindle, need help with VFD settings

Quote Originally Posted by pmany View Post

I bought a 2.2KW spindle and VFD from ebay it is a 220v water cooled version. it says it is 2.2kw 220v 8.5 amps

I have been trying to get it working, but cannot seem to find the correct settings.

Currently I get a "A.o.A" flashing and then at about 4400 RPM I get an "E.oA.A" error.

My manual does not list those error codes, I found a manual online that lists the "E.oA.A" error, as an overload 150% condition. Still nothing about the A.o.A suspect it is some kind of imminent error state
    I have tried adjusting multiple setting but cannot get the spindle to run pas about 4500 rpms (about 53-56 or so Hz)

Does anybody have any idea what to try?

I have verified I am getting 120v AC through each leg of the 220.

Thanks for any help that you may have
    Paul Myers
    You have been play with too many Parameter settings,unless you have lots of experience, you should only set the necessary Parameters to run your spindle, one of the alarms tells me you may have damaged the drive, Some of these VFD and Spindle have been faulty as shipped

But do a factory reset and set these Parameters only, you had most of them correct, but does not take many Parameters set in correct to mess things up

Huanyang Mactec54
    PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 (Minimum Setting 120)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Accel=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deccl=12 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage ) (120 for VFD Rated for 120v )

PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps) (Set for your motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp Max)

(Set for your motor Amp Rating 1.5Kw Spindle 7 amp Max)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD002=1 ( For Remote Pot use )

PD70=0

PD72=400

PD73=120
    Mactec54

So it looks like the only thing that you listed as changed is PD007 from my factory .5 to 20. seems quite high

Originally I had started with a factory reset, then just changed the basics 1-11 , 70 -73 and 141-144. but since that did not work I tried adjusting setting based on more research. With just the basics set it runs for about 3-4 seconds before getting the E.OC.A error

I just ran through setting the basics to what you recommended (third or fourth time I have reset to the factory defaults)

However that just made me get a E.OC.A again. (over current during ramp-up error)

--Paul

So it looks like the only thing that you listed as changed is PD007 from my factory .5 to 20. seems quite high

Originally I had started with a factory reset, then just changed the basics 1-11 , 70 -73 and 141-144. but since that did not work I tried adjusting setting based on more research. With just the basics set it runs for about 3-4 seconds before getting the E.OC.A error

I just ran through setting the basics to what you recommended (third or fourth time I have reset to the factory defaults)

However that just made me get a E.OC.A again. (over current during ramp-up error)

--Paul
    That means you have to increase the ramp up time PD014 Accel=12 start at 15, just check all the settings I posted, you may have to go higher than this, there may be a problem with the spindle, check that the Ground pin # 4 in the Plug is Grounded to the spindle body, and from the cable to the VFD Ground is good do this with the power off
    Mactec54

Well that is not good, the fourth pin is not grounded to the body of the spindle. I ran a temporary wire from the spindle to the ground on the VFD, same place the ground wire connects.

For testing would just wrapped a temparray ground around the water inlet be enough?

It now has continuity between the spindle body and the ground screw, it did not before. I could take the spindle apart and ground it properly, but if all I get is the same response as the temparray ground I don't see much use in the time spent to do that.

I changed the acceleration up to 40 with no change, still getting the over current on ramp-up.

So if all the settings are set the way you specified, and the temporary ground does not help, that indicates a bad spindle?

--Paul

Well that is not good, the fourth pin is not grounded to the body of the spindle. I ran a temporary wire from the spindle to the ground on the VFD, same place the ground wire connects.

For testing would just wrapped a temparray ground around the water inlet be enough?

It now has continuity between the spindle body and the ground screw, it did not before. I could take the spindle apart and ground it properly, but if all I get is the same response as the temparray ground I don't see much use in the time spent to do that.

I changed the acceleration up to 40 with no change, still getting the over current on ramp-up.

So if all the settings are set the way you specified, and the temporary ground does not help, that indicates a bad spindle?

--Paul
    Does the spindle turn free buy hand

You can check the spindle to see what you get at
    Pin 1 to 2
    2 to 3
    3 to1
    And also each pin to Ground to see that there is no short to Ground

Unless there is a problem with the input power, Try the Input power on R & T Terminals, & ground attached to the VFDs Ground Terminal, it should not make any difference on this VFD but most wire them this way a photo of the wiring also can help
    Mactec54

The spindle does turn freely, and will run at 4500 rpm with my settings from the original post.

1-2 = 1.2 ohm
    1-3 = 0.5 ohm
    2-3 = 1.3 ohm

None of the 1-3 pins are grounded, though neither is 4 which is why there is the temp ground wire.

Not sure if .8-9 off would be an issue?

It might be time to open it up and inspect the inside?

--Paul

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1710.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	302554

The spindle does turn freely, and will run at 4500 rpm with my settings from the original post.

1-2 = 1.2 ohm
    1-3 = 0.5 ohm
    2-3 = 1.3 ohm

None of the 1-3 pins are grounded, though neither is 4 which is why there is the temp ground wire.

Not sure if .8-9 off would be an issue?

It might be time to open it up and inspect the inside?

--Paul

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1710.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	302554
    Yes 1-3 is lower than it should be, fix your wiring and you should be running

How can you have 3 wires attached to the input terminals you only are running on single phase you can only have the 2 Hot wires attached ( 1 ) wire to R & ( 1 ) wire to T you can not use a Neutral if that is what you have done, this is where your problem is

Your input cable should be only 2 Hot and a Ground wire to the VFD with the ground wire attached to the Ground Terminal Be careful with this wire

Yes you will have to take the top cap off and add a Ground wire connection to the 4th pin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ground Wire.jpg  
    Mactec54

Ok so a little confused. I am running 220 I thought that I would need two 110 lines and a neutral and ground?

So am I supposed to connect both 110 hots to one one terminal?

I extended the wiring that was going to my hot tub which was two hot a neutral and ground. The line comes out of my breaker box on a 50 amp circuit, then is split to go to my hot tub and then on into the garage, where I have it running through a double pole 20 amp breaker.

and here I thought the connection to the 220 was the easy part.....

--Paul

Oh I got it. so the neutral is now not connected, still the same results though.

OK, well you have a recommendation for a new VFD? I now have a dead VFD for sure....just trips the breaker and has been cooked.

pmany

This may have damaged the VFD so do you now have it wired one Hot wire 120v to The R terminal & the other 120v to the T terminal and the Neutral you needs to be cut off or removed altogether from the VFD input line
    Mactec54

OK, well you have a recommendation for a new VFD? I now have a dead VFD for sure....just trips the breaker and has been cooked.
    The VFD would of been fine if it was wire correct, you have to be very careful when trying to do wiring like this yourself, the same VFD that you have are the cheapest that I know of and run well when wired and the Parameters are set correct, setting the parameters incorrect can also damage these VFD drives

I guess I should have looked at the wiring first, this power line also can not run from your hot tub, this has to come from the main panel direct just like your Hot Tub does, can it have a Neutral with it yes it can, this is so you can split up the 220/240v and make 2 120v lines

But for normal 220/240v in the US you don't use a Neutral for wiring the likes of a VFD just 2 Hot & a Ground and for the output 3 wires & a Ground shielded cable

The VFD would of had a wiring diagram, that must be followed, or disasters like this will happen, you are not the first to do this, and won't be the last
    Mactec54

I did change the wiring to be like that, the same error came up, so I disconnected the Spindle to look at the power coming from the VFD when running it while not plugged in I noticed it going up to 7200 RPM. I then set something wrong... now I just need a new VFD, as mine popped and just trips the breaker now... better to have certainty...no not really but nothing to be done about it now.

Any recommendations on a new VFD. for the 2.2kw 8.5 amp water cooled spindle?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

--Paul Myers

I actually have the hot tub and garage on the same main 50amp circuit, but the wires go from my main box to a breaker box that then has the tub and the garage coming out (both on different breakers in the secondary box). Would that still be an issue?

I actually have the hot tub and garage on the same main 50amp circuit, but the wires go from my main box to a breaker box that then has the tub and the garage coming out (both on different breakers in the secondary box). Would that still be an issue?
    No that should be fine with the Garage wired like that

Never measure the output from your VFD you need a special meter to do this or an oscilloscope, what comes out of a VFD is not a normal sine wave, so the use of a standard meter can damage the VFD

Go for a slightly bigger Hp rating than what your spindle motor is, usually 1hp bigger You need the Parameters I gave you, If you use the same manufacture for you VFD and no other changes are needed

Just the wiring needs to be correct
    Mactec54

I did change the wiring to be like that, the same error came up, so I disconnected the Spindle to look at the power coming from the VFD when running it while not plugged in I noticed it going up to 7200 RPM. I then set something wrong... now I just need a new VFD, as mine popped and just trips the breaker now... better to have certainty...no not really but nothing to be done about it now.

Any recommendations on a new VFD. for the 2.2kw 8.5 amp water cooled spindle?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

--Paul Myers
    So did you not have the parameter settings in the VFD that I gave you,

You can not use different from what I gave you, if this was correct and you got a error with the wiring corrected, then you also have a spindle motor problem as well
    Mactec54

If working with 1 phase and your wires are properly color coded, its the VFD input wiring that's causing your problem and most likely will damaged the VFD. Move line 1 and 2 (red wires) to R and S and the neutral(white) to ground.

Good Luck,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    If working with 1 phase and your wires are properly color coded, its the VFD input wiring that's causing your problem and most likely will damaged the VFD. Move line 1 and 2 (red wires) to R and S and the neutral(white) to ground.

Good Luck,
    Dan
    No Dan that is incorrect when wiring using 220/240v single phase US, you can not use a Neutral anywhere on the VFD Drive Install, You must use a ground, wire Green

You can never use a Neutral wire as a Ground wire, unless it has been covered at each end with Green tape or Green shrink tubing

On this Drive it does not matter which 2 Terminals are used for the ( 2 ) Input Power Wires it can be R S or T, Most use R & T
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    If working with 1 phase and your wires are properly color coded
    I was referring to the pic he posted. He has a white wire(neutral) on R, told him to move to ground.

I'm sure you know this and only posting for others, these VFD can be used for 3 or 1 phase, R,S,T are for line connections. For 1 phase RS RT will work.

Page 1 of 4 123