585,676 active members*
4,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Looking for Advice on Purchasing a Taig based CNC

Looking for Advice on Purchasing a Taig based CNC

My first try at CNC machining is a Ghost Gunner. I started out using the included ghost gunner g-code and a program called ddcut. I eventually started using Fusion 360 to generate new g-code. Because I couldn't get a good zero using the original ddcut program, I started using bCNC. I don't regret purchasing the ghost gunner because it got me started in a new hobby where I had/have absolutely no prior knowledge. How I want to move past milling an 80% lower.
    I have been using the search feature here on cnczone and it looks like the Deepgroove1 would work for me and do so much more than a ghost gunner. The Soigeneris CNC mill looks like another option. The micromill 2000 also seems to fall in the same price range. One downfall I see with the Deepgroove is the need for a parallel printer port computer. I would have to pick up an old computer on ebay. I am hoping someone can answer a few questions for me as follows:

1. Does any of the cheaper Teig based CNC mills use a USB interface?
    2. Are all the Teig machines approximately the same in my price range?
    3. Do I need to purchase Mach3 software or can I keep using ddcut and/or bCNC?
    4. Will I be limiting myself severely going with a cheaper Teig machine like I did with the Ghost Gunner?
    5. The ghost gunner spindle speed changes using S3000, S5000, S10000, etc. Do all Teig based machines require belt changes to vary RPM?

From the searching I have done, I would bet that all my questions have been answered previously somewhere on CNCZone. With my limited CNC experience, it all runs together at some point so I apologize in advance if I missed a thread with simple answers to my questions.

Thank You,
    Wayne

Re: Looking for Advice on Purchasing a Taig based CNC

Quote Originally Posted by GoofOff View Post
    [FONT=arial]1. Does any of the cheaper Teig based CNC mills use a USB

The Soigeneris site bundles it with a Smoothstepper, which comes in ethernet or USB versions. You can also get a USB adaptor like this: https://cnc4pc.com/uc100-usb-motion-controller-932.html that will plug into the 25-pin parallel port plug.

2. Are all the Teig machines approximately the same in my price range?

[The machines themselves are all the same, but the control systems differ. If you get Taig's system (which I sell) then you would get support on it from Taig. If you go with a third party system, then you'd have to ask for support from whomever sold it to you ("ask seller a question").]

3. Do I need to purchase Mach3 software or can I keep using ddcut and/or bCNC?

[The machines I sell with CNC systems come with Mach3 included. It works well. I suppose you could try those other things, but I don't know why you'd want to.]

4. Will I be limiting myself severely going with a cheaper Teig machine like I did with the Ghost Gunner?

[Cheaper compared to what? Sure; there are things you can do on a full-sized knee mill - like taking heavy cuts in steel with large-diameter cutters - that you can't do on a small machine like the Taig. But it has a faster spindle than most knee mills, so it can actually perform better than a knee mill when you use it with very small cutters.]

5. The ghost gunner spindle speed changes using S3000, S5000, S10000, etc. Do all Teig based machines require belt changes to vary RPM?

Thank You,
    Wayne
    [/SIZE]

[You can put a variable-speed motor on a Taig pretty easily; if you're using it to cut wood, that's not a bad idea. But you'd lose a lot of low-end torque (which you need for cutting steel) by doing that. When you change speeds using pulleys, you get torque multiplication in exchange for speed division. But that doesn't happen with variable-speed motors. They have their best torque at a certain speed (usually pretty fast), and less than that at other speeds.]
    Andrew Werby
    Website

awerby,

Thank you for the quick reply. It looks like I can pick up a used computer on ebay with a parallel port as cheap as the adapter so the parallel port isn't the final decision maker. Your micromill 2000 is in the lower price range as the others listed. Is it basically the same machine, as in based on the same Taig mill? Also, are your machines USB or parallel port. Money is a huge deciding factor after buying the Ghost Gunner but also I want to get a CNC that will last me a while this time.

Wayne

Yes, the basic machine is the same. Taig/Microproto (it's the same people) makes 2 models of them; the 2018 and the 2019. The only difference is the length of the X axis. But there are all sorts of control systems various vendors put on them. The ones I sell are from Taig/Microproto. They make two control systems: the standard one that comes with the 2026 (2018 frame) and the 2027 (2019 frame) and the DSLS 3000 system, which adds encoders and a servo-lock failsafe system to the 2019 model, along with a relay box to turn 2 auxillary outputs like the spindle and a mister on and off. All these systems are made to run off a parallel port, although you can add a USB adapter if you want.

Taig mills are known for holding their value; it should last you quite a while.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

It's worth a few more pointers here ...
    The Taig mill is as has been said ... available with short or long table, but that is essentially the only mechanical difference these days. The manual machine is identical to the CNC ready machine. All one does is remove the collars protecting the stepper mount ... and the handles ... and fit the stepper motor mounts. The 'cheaper' manual machine is fitted with a lower power motor, but if the plan is to upgrade the motor system anyway, then there is little point in buying the CNC ready package, just buy the manual mill and a set of stepper motor mounts. This can then be used with any existing CNC kit you have, or be fitted with one of the USB bundles as an alternative to the parallel port controllers.
    The spindle motor as supplied is fix six speed, with the two motor options providing different speed ranges in addition to the different powers, but replacing the motor with a variable speed unit will still benefit from changes of pulley settings to get the best power at higher or lower speeds. Just as stepper motor performance has improved over the years, so has conventional motors, and I have a nice 1/2Hp unit sitting on the bench at the moment with a matching inverter which is the same footprint as the 1/4Hp unit I used to provide. Only question is if it is too much power for the standard belt, and perhaps a bigger one should be fitted?
    The mechanics of the mill have little to fault them and replacement parts are readily available to bring older machines up to the modern standard so that is something of a no-brainer. It is just the control side which offers a vast range of options at various prices, each with their own plus and minus decisions.
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

If, like Lester, you're in a place that uses 220v current as standard household electricity, you'll want to replace the spindle motor anyway, so his idea makes sense there. 220v motors are more powerful for their size than 110v ones, and for more money you can get some nice brushless types. Or you can fit it with a 3-phase motor and run it off an inverter - no matter where you live. But that's yet more money.

On the other hand, I don't really see the point of ordering a manual mill and motor mounts if you're planning to convert it to CNC - changing the way the screws terminate is not totally trivial, especially if you've never done it before. There's very little difference in price between getting the manual version with the upgraded motor and the CNC-ready one; why not let them change it over at the factory?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

The CNC ready machines are shipped with handles on the same as the Manual machine? At least the ones that land here.
    I've replaced the plastic tube coupling with a more stable oldham coupling to allow using the 8mm shaft stepper motors and make assembly a lot easier ... getting those 4 pins to mate can be fun at times I've actually managed to strip the tubes with a 300cm motor so the higher power coupling does make sense. Nothing difficult about swapping the handle for either coupling option, the shipping arrangements do not allow the mounting of the motor tubes anyway.
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Thank you all for the great information. For me, being cost sensitive, I believe I should just start with the standard motor. I live in the US and will be running on 110V 60Hz. I don't think the Parallel port will be a big deal as I should be able to find an older computer cheap. I really like the price point of the Deepgroove1 but I like all the support Andrew has already provided me on this forum already. If I am correct, Andrew, your 2027 is your closest CNC to the Deepgrooove. If that is correct, I need to consider that your machine comes with Mach3 and compare the packages carefully to get a true cost.
    Again, Thank You for the help,
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by GoofOff View Post
    Thank you all for the great information. For me, being cost sensitive, I believe I should just start with the standard motor. I live in the US and will be running on 110V 60Hz. I don't think the Parallel port will be a big deal as I should be able to find an older computer cheap. I really like the price point of the Deepgroove1 but I like all the support Andrew has already provided me on this forum already. If I am correct, Andrew, your 2027 is your closest CNC to the Deepgrooove. If that is correct, I need to consider that your machine comes with Mach3 and compare the packages carefully to get a true cost.
    Again, Thank You for the help,
    Wayne
    Hi Wayne

Happy New Year

I am Mandy from JCUT company in China, you are looking for cnc router machine ?

Mandy
    Jinan Jcut Cnc Equipment Co.,Ltd
    Website: cnc router,wood cnc router,china cnc router,cnc engraver,cnc woodworking machine,Jinan JCUT CNC and www.cnc-laser-cutter.com
    Export Sales Manager
    Mandy Zhang
    company email: [email protected]
    phone:0086-531-82374653
    mobile:0086-15589961121

this company is SCAM.