584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > 80/20 with HGR25/HGH25 Linear Rails/Bearings
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: 80/20 with HGR25/HGH25 Linear Rails/Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I don't know why you come here and ask for advice, but disregard it when people who know about this stuff take the time to give it to you. That was a particularly good criticism you got from Wizard, about reorienting it so the gantry goes across the short span rather than the long one. That one change will improve the quality of the cuts you'll get considerably, because it won't be flexing nearly as much. You won't really know how well a machine will work until you actually try it out, but there are changes you can make in the design stage that will improve its performance - you can implement them or not, as you please.
    Advice is just that, advice. It seems some consider only one aspect of using the CNC v all the practical reasons, ie there is often a tradeoff/compromise. There is also "good enough", sure some ppl want Ferrari's and are prepared to pay, others such as myself with limited resources accept that "good enough" is affordable and gets the results I live with.

Well, this machine is definitely "good enough" for me. And in fact, it's probably good enough for most people who want a DIY machine. And yes...it's heavy. I machined ALOT of Mic 6 aluminum pieces for this thing. And those are 3" and 4.5" 80/20 extrusions. I bet this machine weighs around 300 lbs. when I'm done.

Justin

How did you machine your parts? Do you have a second machine. Your drawings are amazing what did you use?
    Greg

I machined my parts with my other router. I have attached a few pics of it. I did the design, CAD, and CAM...all in Fusion 360. It was a lot of fun working on it. I'm kinda sad about the build almost being complete. I wanna do it again! But DAMN...this stuff gets expensive! I have about $5000 invested in this new machine so far...and I am using the BOB, stepper motor drivers, and power supplies from my other machine. Thanks for the compliments.

Justin

The machine is completely assembled...the only thing left to do now is wire it up and run some cable carriers...then of course I need to dial in the linears and tram the spindle so that everything is square/parallel/perpendicular. I had to temporarily use nylon standoffs on the motor/mount joint. I had planned on machining some Mic 6 spacers, but I forgot to do it before I disconnected my other machine! Damn it! So as soon as this new machine is going and blowing, I will machine the spacers. Cheers.

Justin

Everything is complete. I have finished all the wiring, air line, cable carriers, etc. Everything is tidy and running properly. The only thing left to do is complete my t-track spoilboard. I will post more pics when it's done. Should be next week some time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished 1.jpg   Finished 2.jpg   Finished 3.jpg   Finished 4.jpg  

Finished 5.jpg   Finished 6.jpg   Finished 7.jpg   Finished 8.jpg  

Great looking machine, well done
    I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Thanks a bunch robe_uk...I appreciate the compliments.

Justin

Nice machine. Enjoyed watching your build...Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I am almost done with my t-track spoilboard. I will post some pics of it very soon.

Justin

The spoilboard is finished as of this morning. I used Rockler T-tracks. They are 4" between centers. I used a base of 3/4" MDF. The MDF between the t-tracks is 1/2". The height of each t-track is 3/8" so I needed something with a height of 1/8" to go under them in order for them to be flush with the top of the board. So I decided to use strips of 1/8" blue acrylic. I only went with this because it was blue (to match the t-tracks) and hard enough to not squish or flex underneath the t-track. It worked out fine. I used a table saw to rip each piece of MDF and acrylic, so it came out perfectly square. I am very pleased with the outcome.

Justin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spoilboard 1.jpg   Spoilboard 2.jpg   Spoilboard 3.jpg   spoilboard 4.jpg  

spoilboard 5.jpg   spoilboard 6.jpg   spoilboard 7.jpg   spoilboard 8.jpg  

Neat build. Before I read of your cash outlay I was thinking "Wow. That's an impressive amount of heavy gauge aluminum. Must cost a small fortune!". LOL. It looks like you got your money's worth. Hope you get additional inspiration to make even more cool stuff with this beast.

That's the hardest part of this CNC hobby for me...coming up with cool stuff to make. I have made some cool stuff, but I run out of ideas. I have made all kinds of cool wood, acrylic, and aluminum turner's cubes of all different sizes, I have made signs with people's names, etc. But I run into creative roadblocks at times.

Justin

Hmmmmmmm. I'm expecting to see fabrication services sold by Sparkfun, or Adafruit and other suppliers that are like the PCB services already offered, but for machined components. There's got to be a giant need for internet-of-things enclosures (IoT) and accessories for all those Raspberry Pi 3s coming on-line. It's really a software problem but it would be a lot of fun to instigate and prototype how this could be done.

Here's a few things I have made recently...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7.jpg   P8.jpg   P9.jpg   P11.jpg  

P12.jpg  

Nice work!

When I first saw this: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...0&d=1457741001 I thought the man is making an organ, that will keep him busy for years So what is it really?

looks like a very cool rest for drills and mills to me very nice work

It's an end mill block. I designed it in Fusion 360.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EMB1.jpg   EMB2.jpg   EMB3.jpg   EMB4.jpg  

EMB5.jpg  

Your machine looks great, have you done much aluminum work with it? What sort of doc and feedrates can it do with aly?
    Awesome watching your build come together!

Beautiful machine!!! What were your feeds and speeds on the other machine that you used to cut that aluminum plate?

Page 2 of 3 123