585,886 active members*
6,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: V23 vs V28

V23 vs V28

Hi
    I've tried to find specific details on this question so sorry if it is repeated but it is very hard to find factual info in this forum with the amount of off topic stuff that happens in some of the threads. I guess there are not a lot of people still on V23 as well maybe?
    I am looking for very simple user feedback summary on the benefits of V28 over V23.

I have a seat of V22 which I don't use any more and I use my V23 which also has the additional High Speed Pocketing option and also the equidistant offset option from earlier in it's life.

In the past I was turned off upgrading to V24 (or was it V25?) when I found I would lose the HSP option.

And then I was turned off even looking when BobCad told me that they should never have sold Cad Cam to hobby /home shop users like me, and they started to target prices way higher.

But my interest was piqued again recently when I saw the offers for V28 upgrades. I can't really afford to upgrade - especially at this time of year but if I thought there were real time savers or other valuable benefits, then I would look at trying to do an upgrade later this year.

But what are the real benefits?
    I downloaded the V28 demo and while programming the CAM side of things is different, it seems to be just a different menu system to do the same operations. AM I missing something here
    I tried opening a file I had that used HSP and of course the HSP CAM step was now missing from the CAM tree. Is there a similar in house toolpath now available to replace HSP?

I have read that V24 onwards is a different animal - but don't know how?

Any real world feedback in simple English as to what advantages V28 offers (and also and disadvantages if there are some), would be much appreciated.

Also it is not too clear to me what the difference is between V28 Std and V28 Pro?

Re: V23 vs V28

Yes, there is a replacement for the HSP, see attached image.

Attachment 302938

However there is nothing to stop you carrying on using your V23 HSP, getting V28 won`t affect your V23 installation, all the versions are "stand alone", I have V23, V24, V25, V26, V27 and V28 all on the same PC and they all work fine

There are too many differences from V23 to V28 to list here, a lot on the CAD side, the ability to create/edit/modify 2D and 3D stuff is greatly enhanced, you will need to get really stuck into it while your initial 5 day fully functional Multi Axis is still working

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

If you are doing Simple 2 or 2 1/2 axes,,,,,,V23 is faster to program

That does not mean it is better,,less options but faster

Any 3D,,V28 all the way

V23 vs. V28 too much to list,,,,you are also going to have a learning curve for sure

Simulation is a way different animal,,much,much better

Thanks for the replies
    Lots to look at so.
    My 5 days has already passed
    Hard to dedicate the time to it especially when starting from way back at V23!

Quote Originally Posted by gn3dr View Post
    Thanks for the replies
    Lots to look at so.
    My 5 days has already passed
    Hard to dedicate the time to it especially when starting from way back at V23!
    You can continue to use it in demo mode, which allows you to really learn the software in depth since the only thing that is eliminated is the ability to do "Pro" simulation and the ability to post code. I would recommend that you stick with V23 for your current needs, while taking time to learn V28 when you have a moment here or there. As you said, it's hard to afford it right now, so no need to spend money just to spend it.

There are significant differences in how you can control the toolpaths like equidistant offset, or even slice planar (with the new "Advanced Planar") when it comes to the "Pro" level of V28 vs. V23. If you have V28 standard, you probably won't see a whole lot different compared to V23, plus you would not have equidistant offset. The difference between "Pro" and "Standard" is the addition of the best 3d toolpath strategies, plus I think Advanced Roughing (similar to HSP) is part of that package. I'm sure there's a chart on Bobcad's website that shows the difference between them with check boxes or something of that sort.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    You can continue to use it in demo mode, which allows you to really learn the software in depth since the only thing that is eliminated is the ability to do "Pro" simulation and the ability to post code. I would recommend that you stick with V23 for your current needs, while taking time to learn V28 when you have a moment here or there. As you said, it's hard to afford it right now, so no need to spend money just to spend it.

There are significant differences in how you can control the toolpaths like equidistant offset, or even slice planar (with the new "Advanced Planar") when it comes to the "Pro" level of V28 vs. V23. If you have V28 standard, you probably won't see a whole lot different compared to V23, plus you would not have equidistant offset. The difference between "Pro" and "Standard" is the addition of the best 3d toolpath strategies, plus I think Advanced Roughing (similar to HSP) is part of that package. I'm sure there's a chart on Bobcad's website that shows the difference between them with check boxes or something of that sort.
    Good advice. Thanks for that. There is a table on their website comparing V28 with previous versions but I can't find anything on Std vs Pro. I might just drop them an email.