584,866 active members*
5,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Z-finish Depths

Z-finish Depths

why on z-finishing i cant get it to go to the right depth i have no stock to leave and it is staying up about .010?? any suggestions

If that .01 falls between the Z slices it makes to calculate the tool paths it will not clean up the bottom. You’ll probably have to use another type of cut to finish the final depth depending on its shape and contour. Z finish works great on steep walls but not what you want to use for large open contoured surfaces where “Planer” cutting shines.

I'm not in front of my Surfcam now, but I seem to remember that when you specify the Z depth and if you don't select the bottom surfaces (the ones that are at the bottom Z level), it will actually make a partial step to cut to the Z depth specified.

For example, if you start at 4.5mm and you have an increment of 1mm, if you select the surface at Z0 in your Z finish it will only cut to Z 0.5, if you don't select the surface, it will cut at 0.5 and again at 0. Only works if your bottom most level is flat, otherwise, since you don't select the bottom surfaces, Surfcam doesn't know to avoid them, and you can be in big trouble. --ch