• Conversational Drill Routines and Threadmilling Issues
    • Networking for Mill and Lathe Issue
    • Mill Toolpath Display Issue
    • Save As Dialogue for Mill and Lathe Issue
    • Fusion 360 Document Path Issue
    • Save Dialog for Mill and Lathe Issue
    • Lathe Conversational Append to File Function Issue
    • G Code interpreter Bug for Mill and Lathe Issue
    For release notes and more information on this version as well as issue tracking and reporting visit the PathPilot Software Center.

Re: Path Pilot 1.9.4 released

Well I wait to hear good things from whoever installs it first. I am still using 1.9.2 with good results.
    Donald

Likewise!

I see that they fixed one of my reported my issues:
    #1112: Mill/Lathe - Networking: If currently loaded file is changed via network share and machine
    is jogging, user must first cancel popup to be able to stop machine

This issue can lead to broken tooling if you are using networking with Dropbox or other software that automatically synchronizes files.

On the basis of new releases are usually two steps forward but one step backwards it makes good sense to stay one step back from the latest version - but if we all do that then it will never be fully trialled.

So lets take it in turns! I did mine a few back now.... and spent many hours fault finding and emailing Tormach.

Surely it can't be my turn again yet.....

keen

I just installed it in my lathe. It's working great so far. All I have done is tuned it on and homed it though.
    I'll follow up after making some chips.
    Lee

I updated mine and now it wont boot, keeps asking for a password, entering operator for the login and again for the password takes me to ubuntu, not the desktop that I had it setup for, dont know what the problem is and I dont know how to go back to v1.9.3 without pathpilot loading??

Keen curiosity killed the cat here ha!
    mike sr

My lathe is working as normal. I did run a few parts. How do you do the upgrade?
    I always use the status screen and there is a button there. That will not help you though if you can get in there.
    Usually it's the other way around. You can't get out of PP to get to Ubuntu.
    Lee

I updated from the Pathpilot screen, hit the status button, then the update button, the program said I was in v1.9.4, shutdown and rebooted and it comes up asking for passwords, not starting desktop or pathpilot, I have mine set up to boot to the desktop, then pathpilot is loaded from there.
    I can reload the install disk, or figure out what the passwords are, if those are entered correctly it should load.

I really have never used the passwords, I thought one was operator and another pcnc, I may be wrong??

Any input greatly appreciated!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    My lathe is working as normal. I did run a few parts. How do you do the upgrade?
    I always use the status screen and there is a button there. That will not help you though if you can get in there.
    Usually it's the other way around. You can't get out of PP to get to Ubuntu.
    I had modified my setup to go to desktop first, then I had a button for Pathpilot on the desktop.

I reinstalled the iso disk and all went well, I updated it again after pathpilot came up version v1.4, shut down, removed the disk, rebooted and it went to ubuntu again.
    I am reinstalling now and will put v1.9.3 back on it, that one worked correctly, in fact they all have except this last up date.
    It could be there is an error in the download from tormach's site to the usb stick, I will use v1.9.3 until I hear some positive reports from others, crawling under the machine isnt so easy these days.................

edit: v1.9.3 works after reloading and reinstalling the update, it did say there was a machine error install an update, I clicked ok reinstalled v1.9.3, shutdown rebooted and it came up fine.
    mike sr

So since there was a machine error, are you ready to try the new one again?

Is yours a mill or lathe?
    Lee

Here is a little add on that I did that is worth it's weight plus some. The hole was already there in the base. Just had a flat cover plate. I haven't had to open the cabinet since I installed this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	303270

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USB.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	303272
    Lee

Here is a little add on that I did that is worth it's weight plus some. The hole was already there in the base. Just had a flat cover plate. I haven't had to open the cabinet since I installed this:
    I use a USB extension cable, the male end is plugged into the computer, and the female end sits up near the keyboard. I think the cord itself is 6' long (maybe 2 meters).

Quote Originally Posted by Jabs1542 View Post
    I use a USB extension cable, the male end is plugged into the computer, and the female end sits up near the keyboard. I think the cord itself is 6' long (maybe 2 meters).
    I do the same, my cable is next to the spindle over the top of the electrical cabinet of my 1100, makes it easy to access.
    mike sr

So since there was a machine error, are you ready to try the new one again?

Is yours a mill or lathe?
    Maybe tomorrow, I thought one of the younger guys would have tried it by now, but no such luck ha!
    It may just be the machine error thing causing it I dont know. I do know I lose all my files, tool table etc when reinstalling the software, that isnt a bunch of fun either.........
    mike sr

Now that would be a bummer.
    I don't loose anything that I am aware of on the lathe. Loosing the tool table would not kill me, but would not be fun and enough reason to have left well enough alone.
    The old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies in you case.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    ... I do know I lose all my files, tool table etc when reinstalling the software, that isnt a bunch of fun either.........
    Can't you back up the tool table to USB before you do a re-install? OR is that you can't get to the OS to copy any files?

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    Can't you back up the tool table to USB before you do a re-install? OR is that you can't get to the OS to copy any files?
    If I backed up before the update yes, I didnt because I havent had to in the past.

I just tried installing v1.9.4 and didnt get the machine error this time, it said it was updated down in the right hand lower corner, exited pathpilot and the same problem on reboot, it gives the Tormach label, then after a few seconds Ubuntu 10.04 comes on the screen and it asks for a password which it wont accept, thats as far as it goes, never shows the Pathpilot screen.

I downloaded the update file again from Tormach, still the same problem.

Files are temporary, I have them on a usb stick, tool table isnt too big a deal to redo it, I will save it in the future. I need to give some real thought to moving the computer out of that bottom compartment though, thats getting to be a real pain in the backside!
    mike sr

If I backed up before the update yes, I didnt because I havent had to in the past.

I just tried installing v1.9.4 and didnt get the machine error this time, it said it was updated down in the right hand lower corner, exited pathpilot and the same problem on reboot, it gives the Tormach label, then after a few seconds Ubuntu 10.04 comes on the screen and it asks for a password which it wont accept, thats as far as it goes, never shows the Pathpilot screen.

I downloaded the update file again from Tormach, still the same problem.

Files are temporary, I have them on a usb stick, tool table isnt too big a deal to redo it, I will save it in the future. I need to give some real thought to moving the computer out of that bottom compartment though, thats getting to be a real pain in the backside!
    Can you please post a picture (cell phone or digital camera is fine) of the password request screen you are seeing? This will help in troubleshooting. If you haven't already formatted, we can still probably recover any important data on your current install.

Unfortunately, there are lots of ways to configure "booting to the desktop, then launching PathPilot" - most of which will be overwritten during an update due to the way Ubuntu is configured to launch PathPilot during startup and Tormach overwriting the ~operator/operator_login script. Without knowing exactly how you configured it, there is no way to troubleshoot.

Unfortunately, there is also some bad information floating around on how to configure booting to the desktop / things to change / etc... it's not anybody's fault, but people jump to the conclusion of "it worked once for me, let's post it to the internet and tell everyone else to immediately do it" mentality.

OS Login Password:
    User: operator
    Pass: operator

Samba Share Password:
    Pass: pcnc

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    Can you please post a picture (cell phone or digital camera is fine) of the password request screen you are seeing? This will help in troubleshooting. If you haven't already formatted, we can still probably recover any important data on your current install.

Unfortunately, there are lots of ways to configure "booting to the desktop, then launching PathPilot" - most of which will be overwritten during an update due to the way Ubuntu is configured to launch PathPilot during startup and Tormach overwriting the ~operator/operator_login script. Without knowing exactly how you configured it, there is no way to troubleshoot.

Unfortunately, there is also some bad information floating around on how to configure booting to the desktop / things to change / etc... it's not anybody's fault, but people jump to the conclusion of "it worked once for me, let's post it to the internet and tell everyone else to immediately do it" mentality.

OS Login Password:
    Pass: operator

Samba Share Password:
    Pass: pcnc
    I tried the passwords you show in various combinations, none of them worked, I put v1.9.3 back on as it works here, it may be a quirk with my computer possibly, it is Tormach issue 2012 January. It seems to start the boot up but stops about mid point at the ubuntu screen. I didnt take pics of the screen but will if I try to put it back on again.
    thanks
    mike sr

I tried the passwords you show in various combinations, none of them worked, I put v1.9.3 back on as it works here, it may be a quirk with my computer possibly, it is Tormach issue 2012 January. It seems to start the boot up but stops about mid point at the ubuntu screen. I didnt take pics of the screen but will if I try to put it back on again.
    thanks
    Interesting, I'll take a look today when I get a chance and try the upgrade in my environment.

Page 1 of 4 123