584,800 active members*
4,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Camworks in Solidworks assembly mode - cannot access camworks features

Camworks in Solidworks assembly mode - cannot access camworks features

Hello

I've been using Camworks for well over a year now and have a general grasp on the basics, however one thing I cannot work out what is happening is when I open a Solidworks assembly, Camworks will not allow me to add toolpaths.

In the past as a workaround I've saved the assembly as a part and then added the toolpaths to the part. The problem then is when I make a minor change to one of the part files in the assembly, it creates a hours work work creating a new part for the toolpaths and having to redo every single toolpath for the new file as opposed to a few minutes work if the toolpaths were on the assembly file.

In camworks, the first lot of icons are all dissabled up until "new 2.5 axis mill" - I can click on this and select "rough mill", however when I click new I cannot add anything after that. It's simply not working.
    In the drop down camworks manager menu's, there are no options to actually add stock or add a mill part setup. It's just not there.

Anyone else have this trouble and find a solution?

Thank you.

Re: Camworks in Solidworks assembly mode - cannot access camworks features

I've actually just found where I was going wrong, so if anyone else is struggling with this, here is the solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC7l-IyRNyo

You just need to save your assembly as a part (*.sldprt) in order to add operations and tool[paths in Camworks. Yes, it's a pain, and yes, it causes extra files but that's how it's always worked for me.

No no no...the video demonx posted explains how to use assembly mode the proper way. If you're not familiar with it, you should learn it. It has a HUGE number of benefits.