585,735 active members*
4,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > question on ability to turn a 18" piece of work on a hf 9x20 lathe

question on ability to turn a 18" piece of work on a hf 9x20 lathe

i plan on doing some work regarding a lower motorcycle fork tube, the question is with this ~18" tube mounted on a hf 9x20 properly (chucked in a way so chuck is not in the way), will i be able to have access to cut the whole piece, im wondering this becasue ive seen specs where the saddle has a total travel of about 16", basically what is the useable space of this hf 9x20

I think you would be pushing it just by a little bit. I measured from the chuck face to the tip of my live center and its 17.750 inches. but depending on which end you hold, you might be able to pull it off. Of course you'd have to customize you jaws and find a big enough live center for your tail stock. but for turning the entire fork tube? is this with the brake caliper knubs or with out or is it an upside down (cartridge) lower fork tube? for lowering or looks? Depending on what your doing the 9x20 is just capable or just out of reach. I love my 9x20 it does every thing I ask of it and expect of it. I would recomend it for any body doing home based hobby work. But for production/daily work I'd say you have to go bigger and better. Compared to CNC lathes the finish from this lathe is less than perfect/desireable but is great compare to bigger more expensive manual lathes. Andrew

yeah the initial plan was to turn down/ knock of the fender nubs for that smooth look, but i was thinking of having the ability to turn the whole fork to give it that brushed look finish, anyway i have the lathe now and have been reading the 9x20 lathe group published pdf files, how to mod your 9x20 and how to completely rebuild it

vha27
    Be very carefull turning down stock legs, they are cast and the O.D. is not very round. It is faster to saw the fender mounts off, then belt sand them than it is to machine them off...
    Robert