584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Shopmaster Mill Turn mill tram

Shopmaster Mill Turn mill tram

Any suggestions for tramming the mill? I emailed Shopmaster and I have not receive a reply. It would be nice if a parts breakdown was available, which might help.
    I received their demo/tester. I've only been cutting air, learning the implementation of G01 linear interpolation, etc. Seems to be a nice, good value machine, other then the mill tram being off. I did have to replace the caster wheels with heavier duty wheels

Re: Shopmaster Mill Turn mill tram

I don't recognize your name- did you buy it used from someone? Can you tell us the serial #.

Hi JT
    S# MS0150015
    Thank you.
    Walt

Walter, I checked your e-mails, and the last one we received was in June when your machine was delivered. Send me another e-mail today to test if it comes through and I will respond and attach the instructions for tramming the head.

I have been able to correspond with Shopmaster regarding this. My memory's vague, but I think correspondences did not work through the Shopmaster website but did through direct Email so they were good with trying to respond.
    BTW, I think shimming the bottom of the three (front or back) columns for the "Y" tram adjustment is better then shimming the mill head spindle itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JTJT View Post
    Walter, I checked your e-mails, and the last one we received was in June when your machine was delivered. Send me another e-mail today to test if it comes through and I will respond and attach the instructions for tramming the head.
    I've sent you similar questions and gotten either no response or only a partial response.
    Why can't you just post the instructions? maybe add a support or documentation section to your website.

As I already mentioned, I did receive instructions for tramming by shimming the mill head spindle housing. I thought it more solid to shim the bottom 3 corresponding columns and noticed that shims were already there, so I reshimmed (I got the demo/tester. I also had to replace the caster wheels (original probably 250 lb.(x4) load capacity for 1000+ lb machine, perhaps screw jacks were not in place for testing, and went bad within time (probably fine for quick moving, just use the screw jacks when done moving) I bought the wheels (used orig casters) from Welcome : Stanley E. Smith Online Store. I think part number is WPHXKK3.112XXXR8S (packing slip breaks down to WMP03-221(wheel), BR:1.2-1.38(bearing roller) and SP:1.2-1687 (spanner). I had to spread the caster forks a hair, but works well.
    One problem, I've had, was that the Z movement (mill) sounded like it was crashing, during middle of travel (intermittently). Tightening the set screws for the Z stepper motor shaft pulley seems to correct this.

Is this true on everything with shopmaster. Is everything big secret?