585,712 active members*
4,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Lathe Threading problem/question

Lathe Threading problem/question

I am trying to cut an American Buttress thread, I have the inserts and everything for it. I have the TPI and pitch right. But no matter what I do it will not do multiple passes, it will only make one pass which is too deep. Also I need the in-feed angle to be 0 degree since one side of the thread is 60 degrees and the other side is 0 but I cant seem to make that change either. Even broke out the dang training videos and the guy on there went through all the steps even said how there was a first cut and last cut setting and number of finish passes and then when he did the simulation it only did a single cut just like mine does. His should have made at least 2 passes by what he set it at.

Already crashed a part cause I didnt realize what it was doing. This is the first time I have tried to use the threading. I am at newb all around with the lathe side of BCC.

Re: Lathe Threading problem/question

I had similar problems when trying to cut threads if using 'separate moves' vs. 'canned cycle'. It's best to set your post to output the code for your lathe in canned cycle. Once I did that the infeed angles, number of passes, etc all worked perfect. I have V25 so I could not open your file and look but give that a try.

The simulation just shows one pass regardless of settings as it is just a representation.

I tried your file but I don't have the post processor you are using so was unable to get code.
    I loaded the PP I use and the code seemed OK, the Z Started and finished at the same point and the only difference each pass was the depth, which seems correct.
    I also tried with one of the Haas PP's I have here and again the code looked fine, so might be worth trying a different PP.

I normally use canned cycles myself.
    Hood

Ok. I emailed BCC about it and the guy mentioned that since I had a HAAS that it wouldnt do canned cycles so not sure if he was right or not. I am guessing it takes a special post to make it do canned cycles?

Whether it can do canned cycles or not will depend on the Haas control and has nothing to do with the Post Processor.
    I think it highly unlikely that the Haas will not do a canned cycle thread but you would have to read the manual or look on their site for the codes supported for the particular control version you have.

Have you tried another Hass post processor for the G32 code? I tried one of the Haas ones included with BobCAD and the produced code looked OK to me.
    Hood

Here is the threading post, one with separate moves and one Canned. I have not tried the Canned yet to see if the controller will take it. I have not tried a different post in awhile, first post I tried using when I got the machine ran everything backwards for some reason.

Not sure on the Haas but, I have a Fanuc 6t and if the cut/pass is too deep it will run it in one pass (Great for inserts!)