584,849 active members*
4,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > ISEL CPM 3020 - changing the electronics - which drivers, BOB and parrallel or motion

ISEL CPM 3020 - changing the electronics - which drivers, BOB and parrallel or motion

Hi guys

I picked up a CPM 3020 machine. These apparently run off Kay or Galaad but I want to run it off Mach3. I`ve only a small amount of experience, I did fully refit a tiny TEP mill to run with Mach and it turned out ok but it was a significantly smaller machine. This machine does power up in as much as the door light comes on (but the door wouldn't open, I had to unscrew the handle to open it) and you can turn the motor on, you can see the motor relay engage but the motor doesn't kick in but I guess this is controlled from the software.

To my disappointment, but as expected, it's an all in one board and all the axis plug into it. The picture is very big, sorry, I will resize asap but I'm on my iPad and it's late

Picture of the driver here:

http://raynerd.co.uk/wp-content/upLoads/image.jpeg

I guess the electronics and large transformer on the right is for the motor or is that simply the PSU for the entire machine.

Does it looks like I've any chance of running with mach3 or do I need to strip the board and start fresh with new drivers. I'd be confident in retrofitting 3 fresh drivers and to be honest, I'd probably have to manually turn on and off the spindle motor via a switch to start with. Consequently, I'd pretty much rip out all the electronics. If I was to do this, is it entirely certain the motors would be ok or would these need swapping, in which case the project has just got massive as it would require a full strip down of the entire machine and not just the electronics panel? Would you keep the board and PSU in situ and just tap into the board for power to run additional motors?

I`d appreciate your thoughts!

Chris

Re: ISEL CPM 3020 - changing the electronics - which drivers, BOB and parrallel or mo

Have you retrofitted this machine? What components did you use?

Re: ISEL CPM 3020 - changing the electronics - which drivers, BOB and parrallel or mo

I know this thread is old, but I just completed my retrofit of this machine, I still need to do some tweaks, but Mach3 moves the motors at this point.. if you still need help let me know and ill post how i made the conversion .

yes please!, regards

Quote Originally Posted by Mchipser View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I just completed my retrofit of this machine, I still need to do some tweaks, but Mach3 moves the motors at this point.. if you still need help let me know and ill post how i made the conversion .
    I know this thread is old, but I would like some help about the conversion please

There are four independent stepper motors drivers on main board of the controller, screwed to aluminium profile as for radiator. U need to discover their signals route and connect mach's outputs directly to them, bypassing all the controller on board. Limits, relays and other inputs are available directly on boards plugs so they are easy to use.
    Btw IMAO this controller is far more usable than mach since FTDI rs232 modules are widely available.