585,568 active members*
3,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Fusion 360 Post Processor for Tormach PCNC1100

Fusion 360 Post Processor for Tormach PCNC1100

I am using Fusion 360 on a Mac, am relatively new to both F360 & My 1100, as I have only had my mill for about 2 months. Have been fairly successful so far - have produced several parts & been pleased with the results.
    For my F360 Post Processor, I have used both the generic Tormach Post Processor (which is really made for Mach), as well as the PathPilot version downloaded from the Tormach site. Both seem to work about the same.
    The PathPilot version is named "beta - v .4", which concerns me a bit, but as I said, it seems to work OK.
    The problem that I am having is with a part that has 2 different CAM setups, and requires 2 different Workpiece Coordinate Systems (WCS). In the Post Process Setup, I set the WCS offset to "1" (default is "0"). From this I expected the G-code generated by the Post Processor to set the 2nd program to G55, rather than G54. Instead it sets G54. To overcome this, I have had to edit the G-code file & change the WCS references from G54 to G55. Besides being a pain, if I forget to do this it would cause big problems when I run the part.
    So...
    1- Is there a newer version of the F360 Post Processor for Tormach?
    2- am I doing something wrong WRT the alternate WCS setup?
    3- if this is a bug in the Post Processor, whose responsibility (Tormach or Autodesk) is it to fix it?
    Thanks!
    Gerry Kmack
    Pagosa Springs CO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Fusion 360 Post Processor for Tormach PCNC1100

I'd try both. You can get on the Autodesk CAM forum ( https://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?board=3.0 ) and start a thread, chances are one of the autodesk gurus can tell you what to change, because it's probably a simple thing to fix. Contacting Tormach, wouldn't hurt, tho those guys have a lot on their plate, it may take longer.

So actually you get a warning if you leave the WCS set to 0, you probably just don't see it because it's just a warning and it get's deleted. Not sure how this works on the Mac, but on a PC if you leave the WCS set to 0 you'll notice you get two Brackets windows one of which is blank. The blank one is the warning window, but Fusion deletes the warning file from your PC before Brackets gets a chance to open it. We found this a few months ago on the forum. What the warning says is something along the lines of "WCS set to 0, defaulting to G54".

So G54 is WCS 1. All you should need to do is set your first WCS to 1 and your second WCS to 2 and you should get the gcode you're looking for.

I've been playing around having fun fixing post problems for people on the Fusion forum - taking a break from the software I work on for a living.

Though I don't think I've done a fraction of the work that Adam has done on the Path Pilot Lathe post.

Dave

Thanks Dave - that explains a lot and solves my problem.
    On the Mac, I don't see any kind of error message - partial or complete.
    One curious thing that I noticed: when a "2" is assigned as the WCS offset, G54 is still set in the header section, however, when the program actually starts, one of the first blocks specifies G55.
    Thanks again!

Why cant they just have it say G54 in he cam tool? The 0 and 1,2,3 offsets just seem like and opportunity for a mistake to be made

Quote Originally Posted by tmallard450 View Post
    Why cant they just have it say G54 in he cam tool? The 0 and 1,2,3 offsets just seem like and opportunity for a mistake to be made
    I don't believe you'll find references to any G code, M code, or any codes within the CAM tool. The post processor is responsible for turning the CAM operations into code for whatever particular machine it is customized for. Could be using G & M codes or could be something completely different. So that's why you can just set a WCS number.