585,931 active members*
5,046 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Another Star Wars Tormach Project Rey's Blaster

Another Star Wars Tormach Project Rey's Blaster

I used my Tormach heavily to build a life size all aluminum R2D2. He turned out pretty awesome but I didn't really record much of the process and I wish i did. I've started so many projects i cant even remember half of them so i decided to start recording some.

I created a new channel and will be documenting some of my builds.

My first project is going to be the blaster that Han Solo gave to Rey in the new Star Wars movie. The first video just shows some VERY basic Fusion 360 concepts. This was more aimed toward the prop making community so it might bore some more advanced users here. The next sections will have some cnc machining on the Tormach. Specifically i'll be trying out my new 4th axis!

Anyway if it interests you check it out!

Also I'm just a hobbiest so if you have any tips or see anything wrong please feel free speak up
    If you find anything useful or interested feel free to subscribe for future vids.
    https://www.youtube.com/subscription...r=s2gamesjesse

Thanks guys
    -S2Jesse

Re: Another Star Wars Tormach Project Rey's Blaster

Your pretty smooth bro, I learned a lot, thanks, subscribed!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by s2jesse View Post
    I used my Tormach heavily to build a life size all aluminum R2D2. He turned out pretty awesome but I didn't really record much of the process and I wish i did.
    and I was all ready to ask for you CAD files for that.

Jesse has some videos of his R2D2 build. Pretty awesome.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Thanks Jesse, this was great. I downloaded Fusion 360 this past weekend and their tutorials really didn't apply to what I do. I learned more about using Fusion 360's CAD functions in your short video than I did studying their examples for hours.

Subscribed

Vids like Jesse's are the best way to learn 360, I've found out to be pretty un intuitive, but it's supposed to be easy in the world of CAD and CAM, but I'm a new guy too. Thanks for the vid, I'll watch anything you post!

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Vids like Jesse's are the best way to learn 360, I've found out to be pretty un intuitive, but it's supposed to be easy in the world of CAD and CAM, but I'm a new guy too. Thanks for the vid, I'll watch anything you post!

Thanks guys. Yeah i think the key is pointing out the simple concepts first. Once you get the simple concepts and see them in some real world context then you can explore all the details and tricks.

Also if anyone is still learning and havn't check out John Saunders and his nyccnc youtube channel... DO SO IMMEDIATELY! Hes been doing an amazing job educating the hobby cnc community for years!

Jesse

Fun stuff!
    I need to start learning and using fusion. Autodesk pushes out good software and long term I see this as great tool to use and understand. The cost and sheer number of users is making this very attractive. Having power users showing what can be done and others extending it for their use helps the program and overall system evolve.
    Anyway thanks for making and posting video, youtube channels are a great way to share and help others!
    M

Actually the cost of Fusion 360 scares me. They could easily do this free software model for a couple of years (long enough to have us let go of our maintenance licenses for our previous tools) and then start hitting us with a fee. If the fee is $400 a year I would be happy, but what if it's a $1,000 a year subscription AND they have all my data in their cloud.

I'm on board, but it just seems too good to be true - so I am cautious.

I do admit though, it is a MUCH more intuitive package, plus it gives me FEA (which I currently have with IronCAD).

Quote Originally Posted by Jabs1542 View Post
    Actually the cost of Fusion 360 scares me. They could easily do this free software model for a couple of years (long enough to have us let go of our maintenance licenses for our previous tools) and then start hitting us with a fee. If the fee is $400 a year I would be happy, but what if it's a $1,000 a year subscription AND they have all my data in their cloud.

I'm on board, but it just seems too good to be true - so I am cautious.

I do admit though, it is a MUCH more intuitive package, plus it gives me FEA (which I currently have with IronCAD).
    Yeah I'm a little worried about that too. But either way its fantastic right now

Jesse

I see Fusion 360 like a gateway drug. They are trying to get the younger generation of makers hooked on it. When this group gets older, and gets employed in the manufacturing sector, they will end up convincing their manufacturers to shell out the big bucks for professional versions.

It is the same strategy that MasterCam uses of providing free products to technical schools, but I think AutoDesk is looking to get in a little earlier.

If this is the case, than I think we will continue to see the "free price" for hobbyists, amateurs and startups. Good advertising for Autodesk and they are building a large group of followers that will eventually allow them to cut MasterCAM off at the knees. They are in this for the long game.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I agree, it's smart, it's also a cost effective way to edit and sort the bugs out. Its the first cad or cam anything I've ever used, I just bought a tormach 6months ago, been using a Bridgeport, I feel like I'm a leech sometimes asking for help, I wish there was a manual.I am really graceful for all the help here and the forums, have always gotten me thru anything I couldn't figure out. ..and I can't figure much out ...the Autodesk guys have always been very good about helping me personally as well, without that I would definitely be using something else.

Part 2. Is up. Started a little machining

Great videos Jesse and excellent / creative camera work as well. Very nicely done and educational to boot

I spied the Audi on your you tube channel... you a car guy ?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Great videos Jesse and excellent / creative camera work as well. Very nicely done and educational to boot

I spied the Audi on your you tube channel... you a car guy ?

David
    Not a "huge" car guy but i have a couple cool cars that i love The audi was always a dream car

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copilot.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	402.1 KB 
ID:	305140

I made a lot of the r2 with the tormach btw

Great vid bud keep em coming!

Part 3 is up if your interested!

Jesse

You make great vids, great parts, awesome buddy!

Awesome videos! I just subscribed to your videos, keep it up! I have two Methods VMP-580 3 axis mills...a 4th axis would be so nice. I am working on getting a CNC lathe, but that's still in the future. Are you sharing your cad files? If not, I totally get it. Keep up the good work man! Looking forward to more!