585,581 active members*
4,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas 2 haas serial comunication?

Haas 2 haas serial comunication?

Can I connect two HAAS mills to eachother through RS-232?

We have a VM-2 with all the bells and whistles and a TM-1. I would like to be able to measure tools on the VM-2 tool setter and then upload the offset table to the TM-1.

Can it be done?

Nikolas

You can load the offsets onto a floppy.

I suppose you could connect the two, but it might be tricky.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

061221-1456 EST USA

CNCgr:

Set both machines to the same RS232 settings and use software handshake.

Criss-cross pins 2 and 3 between the machines, and connect pin 7 to 7. No other pins need connection. The maximum baud rate will be determined by your cable length.

Put the receiving machine in receive first, then send from the other.

Make sure there is no DC or AC voltage difference between the two machines before connecting them together. I will suggest less than 0.25 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    You can load the offsets onto a floppy.
    I could, but then I wouldn't be able to load them into the TM-1 which doesn't have one. Of course I could put the disk in a PC and transfer to the TM-1 through the serial port.

Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    061221-1456 EST USA
    Set both machines to the same RS232 settings and use software handshake.

Criss-cross pins 2 and 3 between the machines, and connect pin 7 to 7. No other pins need connection. The maximum baud rate will be determined by your cable length.

Put the receiving machine in receive first, then send from the other.

Make sure there is no DC or AC voltage difference between the two machines before connecting them together. I will suggest less than 0.25 volts.
    Thanks a lot, I will try that. Is it possible to sent the offsets through the LAN? The TM-1 doesn't have LAN either so I'd have to use a PC in the middle too, but it would beat having to use a floppy.

Nikolas