585,919 active members*
3,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with my Torch Height Controller

Hey everybody, thanks for reading my post. I am having a problem with my THC, I am hoping I can locate a sharp person in the community that can help me out.

Specs:

Machine: J-CUT 4'x10'
    DTHC: Start Saphon SH-HC30 digital height control
    Plasma Source: Hypertherm Powermax 85 amp - with factory control cable for carrying volts to controller, set at 50:1 voltage reduction, out from the plasma source.
    Software: FastCAM

Problem:
    As soon as I start a cut with the THC active, the torch lifts to max point. Acts is if the THC is not receiving any signal.

Solutions I have attempted with no results:
    -Adjust all parameters in the THC (obviously, that was my first thing to attempt) the results are the same. Acts like no voltage is being sent to control.
    -Tested voltage out with a multi-meter into the CNC control. Voltage is being sent from the Hypertherm unit when arc is present
    -Reversed polarity on the arc voltage out, to see if it was a polarity issue.
    -tested continuity from the plate bas (steel on table) to the torch shield - continuity it present.

I have put a email into both J-Cut (ABSOLUTELY NO HELP), and Start Microstep. They have replied, but have not found a solution at this point.

This is my second J-Cut machine - the machines are ok, but you better be a self motivated learner- or speak Mandarin.

Any help is highly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Larry

Re: Need help with my Torch Height Controller

Larry,

We had a customer with the same problem. It turned out to be a bad board in the THC with theirs. You might be having the same problem. You can send it to us for a free evaluation if your other efforts fail. I'll PM you my contact info and shipping address.

Tyler Hallowell - Account Manager
    We fix it all! Give us a call at 855-437-3497.

Quote Originally Posted by ies fixs View Post
    Larry,

We had a customer with the same problem. It turned out to be a bad board in the THC with theirs. You might be having the same problem. You can send it to us for a free evaluation if your other efforts fail. I'll PM you my contact info and shipping address.

Tyler Hallowell - Account Manager
    Thanks for the insight Tyler. If the board was bad, would the THC still be getting power? The LED screen functions correctly. Or are you meaning the voltage dividing board in the CNC controller? My wires from the Hypertherm go in the CNC controller cabinet and mount to a control board of some sort - and it says 50:1 on the board.

Thanks,

Larry

What software are you using to generate the gcode?
    Lee

I am using Fastcam - but its not an issue with the g-code. It will do it with the built in library of parts in my controller, as well as custom code. Plus when I do my g-code I cross check to make sure the Z-Axis is not moving. Its definitely a THC problem.

I have tested the voltage, my divider (50:1) is working perfectly, showing me a 2.52 voltage when I am cutting 3/8" plate (Hypertherm calls for a setting of 126 volts for 3/8" mild steel). The problem lays somewhere between the THC controller board, and my THC.

I am starting to think it maybe a bad board. So begins the testing....

Does anybody here have experience with the START THC controller? I would love to find out what other folks are using on the A setting - to see if it is a true 1:1 voltage, or some Chinese riddle..

A lot of people seem to have problems getting thc's to work properly using 50:1 voltage dividers, mostly attributed to noise issues that being said the first thing i would look into is grounding, shielding ect. another thing is some plasma units have a jumper inside that you can switch from raw voltage ,20:1, or 50:1 , lastly you could run raw arc voltage to your thc if it is set up to accept it just some suggestions for figureing out some bugs

IF you are using teh CPC port output from teh Hypertherm it is ALREADY voltage divided at 50:1 so IF you run it into another 50:1 board then the THC will always see the voltage as low and will raise teh torch.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

sounds like you have a bad controller

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    IF you are using teh CPC port output from teh Hypertherm it is ALREADY voltage divided at 50:1 so IF you run it into another 50:1 board then the THC will always see the voltage as low and will raise teh torch.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
    You are right, 100%. problem is solved, I did some searching and found the solution.

Here is a video i made for the solution for anybody else who runs into this issue.

https://youtu.be/RQ-SLFUMMEQ

Ok guys, after many painstaking hours, I have solved the Chinese torch head controller problem, and this solution is the safe method, still using the 50:1 Hypertherm down scaling. I have taken the liberty to make a video of the process for anybody else in the world who has this same problem. I is a board issue, but it solved simply by moving a jumper wire. I hope this will help the community on Chinese CNC Plasma tables with American plasma cutters.

https://youtu.be/RQ-SLFUMMEQ