585,902 active members*
4,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pro/E, Too good to be true?

I am a newbie in the CAD/CAM world and have been using Alibre Express to desighn and assemble my own CNC router. I have been looking into Pro/E Wildfire for a complete CAD/CAM package and i found one online for under 300$. I called and asked if it was a full function program and was told it is, but for personal use. Am i missing anything? Why is it 4000$ off list price. Here's the link http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail.asp?ItmNo=86224903N. Can anyone help me decide??? Thanks.

I got the full student version for 120$, only different is that you cant open files from the pro version and the other way aroud

Thanks. Now here for the really dumb question. Does the program do what Alibre does,ie; 2D parts, assemblies. and create tool path's? Like i said, i'm really new to this and am learning.

It appears to, my question, how do the restrict you on files. Can other people read them and etc.
    Donald

I'm not sure i follow. I know i can export to DFX files if that's what you mean.

Looks like that "personal edition" includes some modules that are normally pricey:

ISDX (top notch surfacing)
    ASX (advanced assembly -- including top-down design tools)
    BMX (goal seeking -- optimize, minimize or maximize anything you can measure)
    MDX (mechanism design -- for linkages, gears, moving components)
    Mechanica (FEA)

Pretty impressive for $300. I use the commercial version of Pro/E and it is top notch -- able to import and export just about anything you can think of. The big question is: what file export options are enabled? The commercial version can export anything, but what has PTC limited the personal edition to exporting?

It is also worth noting that this personal edition does not include the maching module, so you won't be able to generate gcode with it.

Quote Originally Posted by damae View Post
    It is also worth noting that this personal edition does not include the maching module, so you won't be able to generate gcode with it.
    This, unfortunatly, is what i was after. Thank you for your advice. Is there a way to get a G-code for the things i have designed in Alibre? I really like alibre since it is extremly easy to use and free.

If you like Alibre, then I suggest you get Alibre PRO for $160.

All you need is a student i.d.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/it...=Alibre+Design

Totally compatable with express.

I am literrally in Pro-e class right now.
    5 day class, and I can't do what I was doing in Alibre after 5 hours.

Stick with what you know.

Wonder if they would sell the machining module for the personal addition and what the cost would be. I want to buy a good CAM program soon, and really exporing my options. I really like Solidworks, but can't afford to buy it and a CAM program.
    Donald

Alibre gets better.
    See my link above.

Pro and expert come with both VisualMill, and SprutCam.

For one year you get to play with both programs.

VisualMill will then give you an additional 30% off (don't qoute me on that).
    if after a year you choose to go with them.

Expert comes with motion, photorender, parts, and both cam modules.

For a hobbiest or a shop with just a few people, STAY AWAY from Pro-E.

Dn't get me wrong.....Pro_E is great. REALLY powerful and all, but way more complex than most of us need.