586,011 active members*
4,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 Post Processor for SprutCAM 4

Hello All,

I am very new to CNC and just started retrofitting a custom system. I am using the following software:

CAD: Alibre Design Expert 9.1 (SP1)
    CAM: SprutCam 4.0 (Build 1.25 for Alibre Design)
    NC: Mach3

SprutCam 4.0 is included in the Alibre Design Expert package, so naturally, I would like to use SprutCam to generate all G-code. This leads me to the "one-million-dollar" question:

Is there a Mach3 post processor for SprutCam 4.0?

There's a SprutCAM 4 post-processor for the Tormach PCNC1100 mill, which uses Mach for the control software. It may be propietary to Tormach, though, and not publically available.

SprutCAM 4 should also include a facility for writing your own post, though I've no idea how hard or easy that is.

Mike

I wonder if anyone here is using Tormach machines and could export the post processor out of Sprutcam 4.0. I have looked at the interface of SC4, it does allow to write custom post processors, but it does look complex. In any case, that's a start.

I just stumpbled upon a possible post processor for Mach. Here's the link:

http://www.download.sprut.ca/temp/Mach_.spp

Has anyone experimented with it?

I haven't but can tell you it's about the same size as the post that came with my Tormach mill for Mach2. Presumably Tormach/Mach2 post has been customized for the implementation of Mach on that mill. I'd be inclined to try the generic Mach post before the Tormach/Mach2 post, but then I have little idea what suprises either post may have in store for you.

Mike

I agree with what Mike says. If you do find any changes that need doing you should contact Sprut direct using [email protected] making sure you include all relevant info.
    You could also try posting a request up here or on the main SprutCAM forum http://forums.sprutcam.com/ and I'm sure that you'll find someone willing to help........

Dave

As Dave says the SprutCAM forum is a good place to try, but keep in mind that it is sometimes unavailable. You might also try the SprutCAM forum here on CNC Zone.

Mike

Well, submitted a quick post at http://forums.sprutcam.com, we'll see what happens. There seems to be very little activity. I will also shoot an email in hopes of getting a faster reply.

Thanks!

I have a Mach 2 Sprut Cam 4.0 Post Processor, I not sure what differences there are between Mach2/3. But it would be far easy as a starting point.
    Dave

Any updates on this, I too am looking need a post for mach.