584,846 active members*
4,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PlasmaCAM retrofit

I own a 4x4 PlasmaCam DHC machine that I bought second hand. I bought the table because I have experience with the 5x10 Samson table with Design Edge and all the Advanced features, and not knowing the differences of the machines, I purchased the DHC table thinking it would have the same features. I quickly found out that I was wrong however...

PlasmaCam doesnt offer an upgrade for the DHC machines, so I was looking at potentially upgrading the drive system to something like a Bladerunner 300 and ditching all the proprietary PlasmaCam stuff. I have experience mounting a CandCNC kit on a custom table I built for my old employer, so the experience is there, but I am looking to see if anybody has retrofitted the PlasmaCam like this.

Has anybody retrofitted tables out there that use all the PlasmaCam Hardware, but utilize a more open source drive system?

Do the CandCNC kits offer material sensing for Z-axis location (Much like the DHC2/Samson Pcam)?

Essentially what I would like to do is conventional plasma cutting of various materials (Why material sensing is important to me, and why I dislike the DHC table as is), without having to go through the process of setting Z-height every time. Also I am currently setting my DHC table up for a router cutout tool, and if the DHC Z-motor doesnt perform well with the router, I am definitely wanting to upgrade. I would also like to have more Z-axis travel for bigger routing projects.

I went from having a Very Positive view of PlasmaCam in all my experience with the Samson table, to a mildly negative one after seeing my options PlasmaCam saddled me with in buying a second hand DHC table. The Proprietary business practices have left a bad taste in my mouth, and Id rather spend money upgrading the table I have than spending more money with PlasmaCam.

Re: PlasmaCAM retrofit

Plasma Cam doesn't do too much for me, either. We asked them if the machine would support routing of cast acrylic, and they said "of course!" but when we asked about anyone in our area owning one of their plasma tables, they got real quiet. Same thing when we asked them to demo the router part for us.. Big talk, no action. I would definitely retro fit the machine. You'll want a motion card that is Ethernet powered, to cut down on noise problems, and has provisions for thc. Lots of talk here about that stuff, someone will chime in.

I have a retrofit guide of sorts -

Plasmacam Retrofit | ReadyToCut - Vector Art for CNC - Free DXF Files

I worked out a nice touch probe - video shows it detecting through paper, paint, rust -

Plasma Torch Initial Height Sensor - Prototype | ReadyToCut - Vector Art for CNC - Free DXF Files

I was leaning toward CANDCNC for touch probe and ATHC but I also like DIY electronics

I recently swapped in a new Z axis - look how small the servo is -

www.signtorch.com

I would also find it unreasonable to place blame on a company just because there wasn’t someone who existed in my areas that lived down the road from me that not only has experience cutting something that is actually highly uncommon among st most plasmacm owners, but also would allow me to violate their privacy.

In the real world, cutting “Cast Acrylic” is not something that all plasmacam owners do on a daily bases.

Some plasmacam owners cut all sorts of material other than metal, including plastics, and luckily the ones that do that sort of stuff,do frequent here quiet a bit. I am sure if you look you’ll find at lot of relevant information.

With things as busy as they are for me, for a lot of folks it’s hard to set aside time during the business day solely to train their potential competition.

There are some owners that have absolutely no problem that are more than willing to talk to you and have given permission to plasmacam to provide people considering machines the ability to call them. And in some cases they’ll demo the machine fro you with no problem.

I bet that strange requests such as “locals with a machine that cut acrylic”, that they may not been able to provide a reference that they know of that they knew of at the time (since it is something that not many folks do on there machine and may not be able to demonstrate.)

Plasmacam also offered me the opportunity and many others that I know the opportunity to come to their facility for a live demo at anytime.

Sounds to me that there are be plenty of opportunities out there get the information that you want or wanted, even if wasn’t an free lunch.

AND Honestly,

My shop is also my home and I value my right to privacy and try my best to make good use of my time.

It wouldn’t blow me away, if someone other than me would consider it as a big waste of time to demo their machine to someone that is very likely to be doing them same stuff as them, locally!

That to me is a pretty compelling reason why I’d figure that plasmacam would rather not give out their customers if the customer did not authorize it first.

Actually, I commend plasmacam for forgoing a machine sale to any potential competitor in order to protect my privacy and especially for not distributing my contact information without prior authorization.

I wish more companies would actually do the same.

I have owned Plasmacam machines for 16 years....the original model 98Z and currently the model DHC2. The 98 z was older technology, the DHC was next, and the DHC2 the latest (along with the Samson and the GoTorch, 5 x 10 and 2 x 2 respectively).

A few years after I got my DHC2 (roughly 9 years ago) I upgraded to the advanced Design Edge. I have nothing but good things to say about Plasmacam's machines and there continuous product improvement over the years. The 98Z was great in its day.....they improved their technology and developed the DHC with digital height control, great improvement over the drag/limit switch based height control of the 98Z! Then the DHC2 was developed with a more advanced digital height control and ohmic plate sensing that up to this point had only been available on $100k industrial plasma machines.

The 98Z couldn't be updated to a DHC 2 model as many components would have to be completely redesigned....and I suspect it would be difficult and costly. The same thing with the DHC....it cannot be turned into a DHC2 as it would required a complete torch carriage, wiring harness, a control box as well as software....likely about 1/2 the cost of a whole new machine.

When I buy a used car I cannot get the dealer to sell me parts to upgrade it to the current model of the same car...this is no different.

Plasmacam's have always used servo-drives on the x and y axis, where most other entry level machines use steppers. The servos provide real time feedback to the control indicating the position of the torch. Servos also have a better power to RPM curve, meaning they will have a wider speed range with good acceleration....something that is important to plasma cutting. Lastly.....in regards to software that is designed for plasma cutting....is easy to learn and easy to use....it is hard to beat the latest Design Edge..

My machine works perfectly every time I power it up. It has been completely reliable for 9 years. I'd buy another in a second!

Jim Colt