584,850 active members*
4,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Help, I'd like a new CNC controller

Help, I'd like a new CNC controller

I've been scouring the tech docs at Gecko. I have a CNC that uses servos and I'd like to bring it to the 20th century.

Can Gecko's handle a pretty good size motor? It's not huge, but it's bigger than a little hobby motor.

If so, what do people do for power supplies?

The servos seem fine, they are currently wired as DC motors with a seperate Encoder mounted to the table dials. I'm not sure what the exact specs are of this motor (Electro-craft 072311) but it seems a pretty standard size. I'll try to find the specs on this motor.

Any help would be great...I'm having a lot of trouble finding someone who knows. Thanks.

You can also use Rutex.

Gecko 320/340 drives will handle 20 amps/80volts (brush type motors). If you are converting an existing machine you might need a controller (Mach software), breakout board, and new encoders.

If you want to make it easy on yourself get ahold of CandCNC (CandCNC.com) or another supplier who can sell you everything you need in one package.

I will look and see if I can find the spec.s for your motors. You can also check your power supply and see what it is rated for. This will give you a preety good idea if they will work.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mlaws1172 View Post
    Gecko 320/340 drives will handle 20 amps/80volts (brush type motors). If you are converting an existing machine you might need a controller (Mach software), breakout board, and new encoders.

If you want to make it easy on yourself get ahold of CandCNC (CandCNC.com) or another supplier who can sell you everything you need in one package.

I will look and see if I can find the spec.s for your motors. You can also check your power supply and see what it is rated for. This will give you a preety good idea if they will work.
    mike
    My understanding is that the Gecko G-rex (I think) will perform the duty of breakout board. I like that it's USB/ethernet which is way more capable than parallel. I'm not sure what the amp draw is on my motors. It has an assortment of monsterous transformers though. It could be due to the fact that it has to power electronics from the early 80's. The other thing I liked about the G-rex was that it had various inputs and outputs so that I could still control spindle/coolant/etc with some relays.

I should also add that I don't mind doing some basic electronics like setting up a power supply and wiring in relay's. But I don't have any idea what is required to make this stuff work or what the specifications fo the equipement need to be.

I looked and CandCNC.com. It didn't look like it could handle the amperage that would probably be necessary.

Chris64
    I couldn't find anything on the motors. Can you take an amp reading on them and get a voltage reading.

sorry don't know anything about the Grex and am not sure if the software is quite done.

mike

Gecko servos are not very good, tried them and they tripped endlessly, and buzzed all the time. Try Rutex or the Viper drive as they are much better and similar in price.

http://www.rutex.com

or
    http://www.larkencnc.com/viper/index.shtml