585,727 active members*
3,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > 2UVR x-axis powerfeed sorta kinda working

2UVR x-axis powerfeed sorta kinda working

I tired posting this once and for some reason it comes up blank so I'll try again.
    I've got a 2UVR that has a problem with the powerfeed. The rapid traverse works fine and if you wiggle the handle the powerfeed sorta works but you can stop it with hand pressure.. I'm thinking a key or pin has sheared. anyone have any ideas?
    I love Tree mills.. first one I ever used was a 2UVR that my grandfather bought new in the mid 60s for his shop. Once you've used one, the bridgeport is just not enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree Mill 022.jpg  

Voyager, It is not a broken pin or key but the rapid-traverse overrunning clutch,
    that with time is no longer able to engage tightly enough - this is why you can stop the handle with your hand- to drive the table. The vertical output shaft that goes out the top of the gearbox is driven by an overrunning clutch so that when you use the rapid it can rotate faster, then when you release the rapid it takes over again and normal feeds are driven. There are some rollers (look like 1/4" dowel pins) that cam out against the inside of a hub to drive the hub which is part of the output shaft assy. Sometimes the surface of the hub ID is so smooth that the rollers can not get a good bite and they just slip around inside. There are also small springs that help the cam action by pushing on the rollers to help them engage but sometimes they become weak and are usless. Two things you can do are 1. roughup the inside of the hub (We heavy glass bead blast the inside) and 2. put in stronger springs. If you are able to dissassemble and reassemble mechanical units like this then you can do this fix yourself. If not then you should seek a competent repair person to assist you. Having a copy of the parts manual would help much.
    Good luck,
    Gary

woohoo!

Thanks for the info, I was beginning to think no one knew or cared.

I have a copy of a manual of sorts, it's not the easiest thing to dechiper but I am completely capable.. I'll look into it as soon as the jobs I have lined up are done.

Thanks again!

gawd I love this machine.

by the way, I found a place that will make ball screws to spec, looks like I can get what I need for under a grand. CNC is on the horizon.

Please share your ball screw place.
    I am also very interested in a CNC 2UVR.
    Jeff

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

http://www.hiwin.com/bs/index.html

X and Y are easy, of course. I'm planning on designing new castings for the ends (I was a patternmaker in another life and have a foundry) Z is going to be a challenge.
    I could power the knee but I think that would make peck drilling kind of cumbersome. I could work up a power quill but then changing bits cleanly is a challenge. Havn't decided which way to go there yet.