584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pheonix magnum router

I have a small (21"square) Magnum router sold new by Denford in 1996.The machine is in good condition and seems to work fine, but the PROCAD cadcam software does not seem to be very user friendly. Is it possible to use a modern cadcam system with the inbuilt controller or is it a rebuild that is required? I am aware the these machines were intended for the educational market, but I (a 63 year old student!!!) am struggling.
    Common sense is not so common.

Sorry it took so long getting b ack, I had some trouble getting my password straightened out. The Procad system they had is any early version, possibly V6 or V8 of Bobcad. Yes the system is not very friendly, but it did work. I have my old samples/tutoorials that I got with my machine that I would be happy to send you. The control system is probably a Centroid M-10 Servo although I don't know for sure. The guys at CNTMotion systems in Warren PA built these units and are quite helpful. There is also a cncmotion outfit in Pittsburgh and they are the wrong people.

Almost any cam program has a post processor that will work as it is a very simple FANUC g code. The new bobcad works, although I could never get any good with it and they are a very persistant bunch. There are quit a few not really expensive cad/cam systems out there now and they generally work pretty well.

Hope this helps

Mike Jones

Hi MIke,thanks for your reply and for the offer of copies of your tutorials etc.I have the PROCAD software and tutorials, but find the toolpath generation very tedious.I would like to use a modern cadcam systemthat will simply allow me to draw(2d with different depths), and generate toolpaths, offsets, Z depths, direction and cutting orders with just a few mouse clicks.If it is possible to find such a system that will work with my machine with little or no alterations, that would be fantastic.My router is a PHOENIX(sorry about the spelling on my post)MAGNUM GS router\engraver and I have always assumed it to use stepper motors. As you suspect it has centroid M10 servo control,does this mean that you think it is a servo motor machine.the machine does not seem to have any limit or home switches anywhere. and the machine zero is anywhere on the table that you want it to be. If this machine uses FANUC g code, is there any particular version for the post processor?Do you still have one of these machines? Thanks again for your help and interest. Regards,GEOFF.

I have a larger router of the same era, I saw those smaller units when I went there for training. The new outfit is cncmotion.com. Centroid is at centroidcnc.com. Apparently Magnum would buy parts from Centroid and then build their own control system so centroid is interested in where all their parts are.

Yes the home position has to be set. In order to get a fixed home you need limit switches and a plc which would get rather expensive. I don't know if you have steppers or servo's, CNCmotion would. The servo motors are about 3" dia and 6" long, steppers are more pancake like. I have never had a problem with not having a fixed home position.

There are quite a few cad/cam programs out there now, look around this web site and also check out shopbottools.com as those folks use all varieties of software. They all work better than early bobcad. I use Artcam Pro, but it is quite expensive and the supplier still had to tailor a post processor for my machine. These folks can tailor a postprocessor for about anything, they key is the centroid control as it is quite common in the machine tool retrofit industry. Most of the cadcam systems have extensive demos and tutorials.

hope this helps

Thanks Mike.I will check it out and let you know how I get on.Regards,GEOFF

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
    Sorry it took so long getting b ack, I had some trouble getting my password straightened out. The Procad system they had is any early version, possibly V6 or V8 of Bobcad. Yes the system is not very friendly, but it did work. I have my old samples/tutoorials that I got with my machine that I would be happy to send you. The control system is probably a Centroid M-10 Servo although I don't know for sure.

Mike Jones
    Hi Mike,
    I know that your response was to GEOFF but I have just discovered your posting.
    I have recently bought a Phoenix cnc router and it has a Centroid control system.
    Just after I bought the machine, at auction, and with no manuals or software backup, I transferred the CNC7 programme to a new hard drive and got that done just before the old Maxtor died. I have not be able to rescue anything else from the old drive.
    I have the router working, with CNC7, but I don't have any of the other utilities.
    If your offer of tutorials and samples was open I would very much appreciate it.
    Ross