585,728 active members*
4,117 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Info on Using the PCNC 1100 as a Lathe
Page 1 of 2 12

Info on Using the PCNC 1100 as a Lathe

Ok, been doing some searching on everything from converting my benchtop lathe to CNC, to the new Taig CNC lathe, to trying to figure out how to use my PCNC1100/3 as a lathe. Right now I cannot afford a Slant Pro 15L.

I'm not skilled enough to do a ton of hand coding like some of the experts here on the forum. Is there anyway to use Fusion 360 to post out a file that would work with my tools mounted to a gang plate on my X/Y.

Just looking for a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks!
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Info on Using the PCNC 1100 as a Lathe

I think you'd have to at least edit the code a bit...but subscribing so I can learn more too. I was reading here a while back but got distracted - http://www.calypsoventures.com/image...troduction.pdf

Bill
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

That's a cool idea. I hope you figure it out.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

I've used my 1100 to do some simple lathing with a tool clamped in the vise, it worked really well. There are also some youtube vids of more elaborate setups that have a bunch of tools poised vertically on the table. I don;t know how well the spindle bearings will hold up, I'd keep it to aluminum and light cuts.
    The post processor here for SlantPRO supports simple milling ops: https://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?topic=7481.150

This one has a bug issuing a G96/G97, which is a lathe command. I'll get this fixed by next week and add a test case. In the mean time, what sort of setup are you thinking about, there's no reason the SlantPRO lathe post processor could not spit out gcode for the mill - however the 'stock' post processors from Tormach won't because it's cutting in diameter mode. The mill would be using radius mode.
    You also need to understand X+ vs X- cutting. If you imagine your mill as a lathe stuck up on the wall, tool that approach the spindle from the right will be X+ cutting tools, from the left will be X-. Any tool such as a drill is really an axial tool and all go to X0.

Thanks for the info and post file adamvs! I've been watching all the YouTube videos on this but found very little info on the CAM side of how to do it. Tormach said they have something on the "to do list" for PathPilot that will allow this....

I think I'll try your post and cut some air to see how it works!

Thanks again,
    Andrew

I've fixed a few bugs but haven't put the new rev up on the forum yet, I need to cut some air also. Last time I use the mill like this, I printed an actual size .dwg file for Inventor which has the outline of the part and taped it to the spindle with the spindle turned off. When the tool traced the outline perfectly I was happy. I'll try this tomorrow, and if it checks out, I'll put it up. Also on the mill you don't have feed per rev, or CSS (yet), even tho the manual says you do. Feeds have to be G94 or IPM.. so you need to do a little math.

Thanks again adamvs for the info. Please put the post file on this thread as well. I'm real interested in trying this out. Right now, most of my parts are small items like bolts and shafts/pins. I'm hoping this will work for me until Tormach comes out with the 440 version of the SlantPro 15L. I added it up last night and it looks like I'd be at about $15k for a SlantPro 15L...... That's a wee but out of my budget right now - something in the $8k range and I'd buy it today!

I just put the latest post processor on the Autodesk/CAM forum. I tested this and it's working pretty well, but is only for one tool so far. It's on:
    https://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?topic=7481.150 .. I also put in up on the SlantPRO section on this forum. Let me know how it works for you!

In the future I'll try to support multiple tools on the table.
    Adam

I've seen some You Tube videos that look like they work pretty well.

You can look at the Toss Tool website. He has a tool block that you can put tools in. He's pretty expensive but you can get some ideas and make your own.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the response. The "mechanical" side of it I can find a pretty good bit of info on. It's the CAM/Post side of it that has me scratching my head. Even setting it up as a basic one tool op with a lathe tool in my vise. I'm running Fusion 360 - where do I go from there on the PCNC 1100/3 running PathPilot 1.9.2........

smokediver, you don't need to worry about the version of PP. I posted the post processor on the 'SlantPro' sub forum, you need to change the extension of the file for '.txt' to '.cps' the forum wouldn't let me upload a '.cps' file for some reason. So, on the Fusion just create setup with some lathe profiling, and select the post processor I uploaded yesterday ( reading the instructions is good here ).. and you have gcode you can run on your mill. In your path pilot backplot, you'll need to select 'ISO' view and rotate Z and Y 180 degrees ( invert them ) to get an accurate picture of cutting.
    As far as a table of cutting tools you can use this post processor to do that also, but it's a little trickier. Try the single tool first, let us know how it goes.

I do some lathe work on my PCNC 1100 and I will program it just like i would a mill, then post process it the same way.

Program all your Z moves to be zero, then when you get your posted program, you can do a global edit and delete all your Z zero moves, then another global edit and change all your X moves to Z and your Y moves to X.

Sounds confusing, but it works. Only difference is you're feeding IPM instead of IPR.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

That might work, but if do a setup for Lathing in Fusion, and use my post processor, it's seamless.

I used the "Lathe ZX" machine in sprutcam and the pcnc1100 post processor. Didn't have to change anything in the code.

Hi - You have probably seen this - I will read the thread as soon as I get time.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkebziahCgk

Keen -

will you please share more about your 3 jaw chuck arrangement? R8 arbor and backing plate or ?

Thanks,

Bill
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    Keen -

will you please share more about your 3 jaw chuck arrangement? R8 arbor and backing plate or ?

Thanks,

Bill
    Yes a R8 Arbor and backing plate. For a solid Arbor I used a spare ER 20 collet chuck and thread cut a hole in the backing plate to suit. I also mount a 5 inch chuck on this back plate and it runs up to the low speed belt max of 2000 rpm fine.

Keen

Hey Keen,
    If possible, please add some closeup pictures of the R8 Arbor/Backing Plate/ER 20 Collet Chuck/5" Lathe Chuck.

Do you use a CAM program/post or is this all hand written code?

Thanks!
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    I think you'd have to at least edit the code a bit...but subscribing so I can learn more too. I was reading here a while back but got distracted - http://www.calypsoventures.com/image...troduction.pdf

Bill
    Thanks for posting that MSM link - very interesting. Looks like it is available only for Mach3.

One concern I have is that at least for multiple parts, the whole point of a CNC lathe is that the machine will run unattended and does not require manual tool changing.

Can the software be used to set different tool positions that are spread out across the mill table?

If you are following this thread MSM, your comments are welcome.

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I do some lathe work on my PCNC 1100 and I will program it just like i would a mill, then post process it the same way.

Program all your Z moves to be zero, then when you get your posted program, you can do a global edit and delete all your Z zero moves, then another global edit and change all your X moves to Z and your Y moves to X.

Sounds confusing, but it works. Only difference is you're feeding IPM instead of IPR.
    That's very interesting Steve. Tell us more! Have you done rad turning? ...if so don't you also need to also change other G code around rad/axis - I would need to refresh on this to post the details.

keen

Page 1 of 2 12