585,729 active members*
4,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pheonix Magnum Cnc Router

I have asked about this before, but had no replies and guess I was probably in the wrong section. I have a small Pheonix Magnum router (21" square).This machine is in quite good condition and seems to work fine, but I find the PROCAD cadcam software difficult to learn. Is it possible to adapt the machines inbuilt controller to work with a more modern cadcam system, or would it be better to consider scrapping\rebuilding the existing controller. My preffered option would be to leave the machine as is, but if the controller does need to be replaced\rebuilt is it better to use the parallel or serial port the for the PC connection. Even if I have to replace the controller I would hope that I can keep the existing stepper motors and perhaps the drivers. I hope that I get a better response than last time.Thanks,GEOFF.
    Common sense is not so common.

You're not getting any responses because nobody here has any idea what a "Phoenix Magnum" is. For this reason, you're probably going to have to scrap everything except for the motors. If you're good with electronics, you could probably adapt the existing drivers, but none of us can really doing anything about it over the internet.

Take some pictures of your stepper motors and tell us everything about them... frame size (NEMA or non standard?), number of wires, number of phases, amps per phase, diameter of rotor, etc.

Hi Zumba,thanks for your response.I am suprised to hear that the magnum is unkown as it is an american machine that was probably intended for the educational market.the machines were sold over here by DENFORD .I was hoping that somebody would know something about them. As I said before, everything seems to work fine, but the CAM side is very laborious and seems to requires every start\stop and Z up and down movement putting in individually and I had hoped the someone may experienced the same problems and knew the answers.This is the second of these machines I have had (did not crack the first one,but am a glutton for punishment!!) and I am sure there must be a few in captivity somewhere and that others, better than I may have upgraded their machine.

I did a search on the name (Pheonix Magnum) and found a few larger systems with all seem to use Fagor controllers - if this is true you may not need to change the controller, just the CAM software. Still a lot of $$$$.

Aaron

Thanks AARON, I will check that out.GEOFF

hi i use a magnum router daily with no problems i am using techsofts 2d design for the cad and cencom for the cam