585,687 active members*
4,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

coolant pump ???

what do you lot think of using a 1/2hp, 1200gpm sump pump for flood cooling an ih mill? hmmmm?

i'm thinking of choking it from 1-1/4" npt down to 3/4", then feed two click together coolant tubey thingies. fill a garbage can with coolant, drop it in and forget about it til it kicks.

am i too loaded? will this work? do i deserve another drink?
    dad used to say... "once is ignorance. the second time you're stupid!"

Hey Loaded;
    My only concern would be loading up the pump with all that back pressure. I used a pump from Lowes which was designed for a yard waterfall gizmo. Worked fine and wasn't very expensive. I hooked the pump up to a fan speed controller and vary the flow with the dial. Works for me but not the only way to do things. Have fun.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Hey Loaded;
    My only concern would be loading up the pump with all that back pressure. I used a pump from Lowes which was designed for a yard waterfall gizmo. Worked fine and wasn't very expensive. I hooked the pump up to a fan speed controller and vary the flow with the dial. Works for me but not the only way to do things. Have fun.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    My only concern would be loading up the pump with all that back pressure. I used a pump from Lowes which was designed for a yard waterfall gizmo.
    Actually with a centrifugal impeller pump such as these are, closing down the input or output decreases the load of the pump, the pump runs at minimum current when either is completely closed.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I plan on using a bilge pump for a boat. They come in different ratings as far as GPH and are 12vdc. I have seen these pump some pretty nasty stuff out of the hull of a boat, oil, saltwater, sand, gasoline, diesel and sludge…. What ever was down there. Make sure if you use one that it does not have the level switch (auto on)
    Robert

Cool

For pumping water soluable coolant or cutting oil, I have always used the "LitleGiant" brand pumps!

Here are the specs & price at Enco:

1-AA LITTLE GIANT PUMPS
    GPH: 170 @ 1'
    Power Cord Length: 3
    Amperage Rating: 1.1
    Horsepower: 1/200
    Outlet Size (Inch): 1/4
    Pressure: 3.0
    Material: Aluminum
    Manufacturer Part Number: 500000

Model #505-3586
    Low Price: $48.36 ea

I have one of these on my lathe, and one on my mill, both pumping synthetic coolant!
    They run silent, and are well sealed against oil and other nastys!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0927850-11.jpg  

I used a submersible waterfall pump from my favorite greenhouse. It has 450gph rating at 6' and cost $79.00. With water based coolant, this works just dandy and man, does it put out a lot of coolant.

Sump pumps are absolutely great! I have abused and misused them for all sorts of mild garbage pumping. The most insane was to use one to pump a 80x28x6' effluent pit under a hog confinement empty (that's lots of gallons . Pumped the liquid and sludge with no problem over the course of a few days of constant operation. This was non-submerged variety where the motor was on a pedestal. I would sure give it a try if I had one on hand else I would just go with a regular coolant pump. But hey, give it a try and let us know.

I used a boat bilge pump 500GPH, plenty of pressure and coolant.

Works no problemo, made a bigger case for my controller put a 12v suply in there, and a relay. Works just like a big machine.

A sump pump makes a great coolant pump and you don't need a big one. I've used them sitting in a barrel for years. If you use a submersible one make sure the coolant is over the top of the pump or they will burn up. You can dead head them (block the flow) without any problem. Place it on a concrete block to get it off the bottom of the barrel to give the sludge somewhere to settle. The cheap ones from Home Depot or such live about a year in continuous use (20 hrs/day 7 days/week). The industrial ones from Graingers live about 2 years. If you use a submersible remember to unplug it when not in use or the coolant gets hot. If you have metal chips in your coolant wrap some window screen around the bottom of the pump.