584,830 active members*
5,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Wood Lathes / Mills > Hapfo 7000 & MegaCAD Help / Change of software???

Hapfo 7000 & MegaCAD Help / Change of software???

Hi,
    I know this is bit of a long shot but i found a thread on cnczone using google of a user saying that he has 9 years’ experience using a Hapfo 7000 wood lathe with MegaCad, so i decided to sign up to the forum hoping he might able to help me (now PM’d) and to create a thread,

I have years of CNC experience myself using 5 axis Glass / Stone CNC Work Centres and also 5 axis waterjet cutting (CAD/CAM etc), but unfortunately this experience hasn't proven too useful for the situation i now find myself in,

basically, my girlfriend and her brother have a little wood turning company in England, and they have a Hapfo 7000 wood lathe which uses MegaCad (ver 4.8), unfortunately the only person who knew how to use the machine has left and won't give any information on its use, so i have been trying to help them out.

As there is next to no documentation available to me I’ve had to try and figure out what needs to take place in order to program the machine, which I think goes as follows

Draw the design as a .prt file

Generate a .cdl file, using colours assigned to sections of the drawing, colour 10 to swivel left, colour 12/13 to swivel right, with all other colours to swivel center

Using the .cdl file, generate a .npc file for the machine to run – at this point we then have to convert the .npc to .ngc (gcode) as they are using LinuxCNC to operate the lathe (because I believe something has gone wrong in the past with the original)

I can generate all of the files, but I find that the machine doesn’t follow the swivel actions needed, and I think its because im probably doing something wrong when generating the .cdl file,

Any help anyone could provide would be very much appreciated, and from this I would write up some form of instructions along with screenshots and look to share this on cnczone for anyone else in the future,

Alternatively I was thinking we could change software to a more modern package but it doesn’t seem like there is much of an offering on Wood Lathes, particularly lathes with a Swivel Cutter function?

My final plan of action was to simply convert DXF drawings to gcode, and manually add the gcode for the swivels at the correct points (I have this code ready),

Many thanks,

Daniel

Re: Hapfo 7000 & MegaCAD Help / Change of software???

after looking through the code, managed to spot the issue so after some trial and error I've sorted it and made some illustrated instructions
    Glass CNC Machining (8 Years) | http://www.glasstops.co.uk/ | The machines I get to play with: http://www.glasstops.co.uk/about-us/glass-factory.html

Hello Daniel, I´m repairing an Hapfo AP7000CNC lathe, it runs on Pentium 1 , 133 MHz motherboard, ISA Boards, original software installed is an old DOS 5.0 w/ windows 3.11 workgroups and I´m making the electrical drawings, I´m near to fix it, only one error to go, The client has no manuals. Lathe was made in lates 90´s. I´m electronic engineer.

Once repaired, I´m interested to upgrade it to Linuxcnc (making it dual boot in DOS/LinuxCNC), Do you have the pictures of the CMOS setup ? ... to see if both motherboards are similar. The control cabinet has a code name "Penguin" and it contains the PC with ISEL servo control board, I/O board (ISA Bus), 3 servo drives (KEB), 24 power supply, I/O interface card and servo interface box. Servo motors 3 phase with resolver.
    Best Regards

Hey fella I know this is an old post but I am looking at buying a 2001 Hapfo 7000 cnc
    And advice on updating the control?
    Are these machine that are mentioned still running ?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Williamson View Post
    Hey fella I know this is an old post but I am looking at buying a 2001 Hapfo 7000 cnc
    And advice on updating the control?
    Are these machine that are mentioned still running ?
    Hi Will, the wood lathe I repaired is still running (with original Motherboard / ISA Boards & Servos), model is AP5000 (~1995), probably the AP7000 have the same controller based on DOS 5 or 6.xx and Windows 3.11 or Win 95, ask the vendor and post pictures of CPU & inside the controller. Upgrade from Hapfo is available about 25,000 Euro + Labor. I'm designing a new controller to upgrade it, well once the proposal is accepted !

Thanks, would you be able to do 3d carving with this, New Controller? Yes I have been in touch with the manufacturer. You are correct, about the cost.
    I am trying, to get some, new pictures.

The wood lathe controller have 3 servo drives (by KEB Electronics) one servomotor is located inside the transmission / main motor (Spindle) cabinet, an actuator engages the servomotor to spindle axis and disables main motor contactor (main motor shaft is allways connected to spindle axis), you have to install the router assembly and connect the 3 phase plug already installed in the frame, locate the start button on main console to activate the router´s contactor (also 3 phase).

Attachment 435306Attachment 435308Attachment 435310 Here are pictures of the control and machine tag

Hi Daniel
    Talking long shots, I just purchased a Hapfo AP 7000 CNC Lathe from an online auction, its old but perfect condition, it is a DOS platform and no MegaCad Shame because I'm fluent in MegaCad.

This lathe powers up I can reference it but can't run it, did you find any information or instructions on its operation or even any affordable upgrade to windows.

I almost bought a new one 10 years ago but decided to keep hand turning so I know that Hapfo are still in business and I would like to run this kit without spending too much more money on it, as long shots go can you or do you know anyone who can help?

Best regards
    Paul

Hi did you get your lathe sorted?