585,698 active members*
3,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB15 OSP5000 DNC COMMUNICATION PROBLEM

LB15 OSP5000 DNC COMMUNICATION PROBLEM

Hello all,
    I am trying to set up communication between OKUMA LB15 OSP5000 (Green Screen) and a PC, and I will appreciate your help.
    The machine was connected to an ancient PC with old DNC software running on DOS, and it worked fine until the PC had perished.
    Few days ago I installed DNC4U software on a new computer and connected it to the OKUMA LB15 via RS232.
    All my attempts to send a program from the machine to the pc failed and the message "puncher error ffffffff" appeared. Sending from the PC to the machine failed too, and the message "PTR read error ffffffff" was displayed. Changing parameters of the DNC (parity, stop bits etc.) didn’t make a difference. I didn't change any parameters at the machine (don’t know which and how).
    Does anyone have any suggestions or tips as to how to solve this?
    Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Z. Joseph

Re: LB15 OSP5000 DNC COMMUNICATION PROBLEM

HI Z.Joseph, are you trying to get DNC running or just RS232 to tranfer programs between machine & computer?
    Regards WC56

Quote Originally Posted by WC56 View Post
    HI Z.Joseph, are you trying to get DNC running or just RS232 to tranfer programs between machine & computer?
    Regards WC56
    Hi WC56,
    I am trying to transfer programs between machine and PC with DNC software - "DNC4U".
    I made some progress since I wrote my thread.
    I succeeded to send from machine to PC, typing "PIP PUNCH filename.min,cn0:" and it transferred fine.
    When trying to send from PC to machine, I receive the error "PTR READ ERROR FFFFFFFF".
    I'm not sure of the correct command syntax I should use.
    Regards
    Z. Joseph

Ok, I recently went through this with my 1984 LB15 & this is what I got to work:

I am using a free program called NClink.

First I set up NClink using their guidelines for Okuma
    Then I had to change a few parameters... I found them here on the forum somewhere & in the manuals...I have them written down if you need...although you have it working one way so perhaps your are ok
    Then I sent a program from the control to PC & took note of the leading information that NClink put in front of it. This is what it came across as $@018$PROGAMENAME.MIN%
    There was also a funny character after the % at the end but I can delete that without any problems.
    I then named my program in the same manner & sent it by doing the following:
    Open NC Link
    Select machine (Okuma)
    Select ‘Send Code’
    On machine
    In ‘Edit Aux’ press Pip - Read
    Type CN0: (zero not O)
    Press ‘Write’ then Send on computer
    ** In my case using NClink the program must start with: @018$NAME.MIN% & end with % If I change it, it doesn't work

I found that a baud rate of more than 2400 would not work

To send to PC I do:
    Open NC Link
    Select machine type (Okuma)
    In ‘Edit Aux’
    Press ‘Punch’
    Enter program name without ‘.min’
    Start NC Link to ‘Receive Code’
    Press ‘Write’

Also, the program name cannot be too long or it comes up with an error.

I hope this helps, I am no expert but it works for me.

Regards wc56

Hi WC56,
    Thanks for your response.
    I followed your instructions.
    I tried both 4800 and 2400 baud rate.
    Tried adding the "@18" prefix to the name (by editing the file at the PC).
    All the above failed, presenting the message "RS232C device read error ffffffff".
    Any suggestions?
    yuem

Hi yuem, are you trying to send the same program back from PC to machine in exactly the same format as it was sent from machine to PC?

Quote Originally Posted by WC56 View Post
    Hi yuem, are you trying to send the same program back from PC to machine in exactly the same format as it was sent from machine to PC?
    Hi WC56, yes I am. I sent a program from machine to PC than tried to send it back as is (after deleting it from machine).
    I used various syntax:
    PIP READ <write> -------------------------------------> PTR read error FFFFFFFF
    PIP READ CN0: <write> -----------------------------> RS232C device read error FFFFFFFFF
    PIP READ FILENAME.MIN,CN0: <write> -----> device name error "CN0"

I tried to change the flow control at the DNC software, from Rts/Cts to Xon/Xoff - errors remained the same.
    The other DNC parameters are:
    Baudrate 4800 (tried with 2400 too)
    Databits 7
    Parity even
    Stopbits 2
    DTR enabled
    RTS enabled

As you see, I'm not sure of the correct command syntax I should use.

Hello again yuem, may you should check your optional long word parameters, mine are set as:

#1 = 00011011
    #3 = 10011010
    #4 = 01100001
    #12 = 10100010
    #15 = 10100011

My NClink settings to send to control are:
    Baud rate 2400
    Data bits 7
    Parity Even
    Stop bits 1
    XON/OFF - ticked
    Start at computer - ticked
    First line - leave blank
    Last line - %
    Timing - 0
    Remove spaces - Not ticked

Something I did forget to mention is that with these settings the program transfers across as A.MIN, I then have to rename it.

Hope this helps...I must admit I was pretty surprised & relieved when it worked for me.

Based on your description, I think that your cable or settings may not be correct. Did you switch from 25pin to 9pin when you updated your PC or are you using EXACTLY the same cable as before with no new adapters?

PIP READ CN0: <write> is the correct command to use. It is giving you the error due to either cable or settings for the ready signal. Use XON/XOFF and disable the DTR and RTS. Either baud rate should work, but must match on both sides.

if you want to rename the file on the way in use:
    PIP READ CN0:,ABC.MIN <write>
    ABC will be the new file name.

I would not change settings on the machine since they worked before, but if you do, wait at least 3 minutes before power down and then turn off the control and the main breaker for at least 1 minute to let the RS board reset properly.

Best regards,

Hi wc56 and okumaWiz,
    Thanks for your responses and sorry for the delay in mine.
    Referring the "optional long word parameters" you quoted, I checked my machine and the "optional long word parameters" table consists of numbers (integers) not binary.
    The only binary parameters table I see is "optional parameter bit" screen, and there, all the values differ from yours, for example:
    #1=01000011
    #3=00010010
    #4=01000000 etc.
    So, I'm not sure I am in the correct screen.
    As for the DNC software parameters, I changed them to be as both of you suggested.
    The command I used to receive is PIP READ CN0: <WRITE>, as okumaWiz wrote.
    I keep getting "RS232C device read error FFFFFFF".
    Someone here told me that the former DNC computer was connected via BTR card. I don’t know if that’s of any importance or what to do with that information, but the fact is that it worked fine, both ways.

Best regards
    yuem

Hi yuem, yes you are in the correct screen...that was my mistake. On check mine again it does work well at a baud rate of 4800 but not higher. I had not updated my notes after increasing it from 2400. As Okumawiz said, have you changed the cable connecting the two in any way?

Hi'
    No, it's the same connecting cable I used, 25 pins on machine side and 9 pins on PC's.
    I checked the cable plug for disconnected wires. It's OK.

yuem

Quote Originally Posted by yuem View Post
    Hello all,
    I am trying to set up communication between OKUMA LB15 OSP5000 (Green Screen) and a PC, and I will appreciate your help.
    The machine was connected to an ancient PC with old DNC software running on DOS, and it worked fine until the PC had perished.
    Few days ago I installed DNC4U software on a new computer and connected it to the OKUMA LB15 via RS232.
    All my attempts to send a program from the machine to the pc failed and the message "puncher error ffffffff" appeared. Sending from the PC to the machine failed too, and the message "PTR read error ffffffff" was displayed. Changing parameters of the DNC (parity, stop bits etc.) didn’t make a difference. I didn't change any parameters at the machine (don’t know which and how).
    Does anyone have any suggestions or tips as to how to solve this?
    Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Z. Joseph
    Hi there

We are also havving a comms issue with this machine, and we are not certain we are using the correct pin mapping

We are also using 25-pin to 9-pin

Do you have the correct pin mapping and correct config settings? Please