585,762 active members*
4,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Alternative to Sears Craftsmen toolboxes?

Alternative to Sears Craftsmen toolboxes?

I went to sears today to pick up one the ball-bearing slide toolboxes for around $330 bucks. It was one of the smaller units. The floor model seemed to be smooth as silk, but when I took mine out of the box out to inspect it in the parking lot, the quality just didn't seem to be there, sticking/racking all over the place. It took alot of effort to just open one of the small drawers. perhaps it just needed to be oiled, pehaps not.

The whole Craftsman line of tools seems to be going down the crapper quality wise.

Anyhow, enough of the rant.. I'm looking for a quality, but don't want to get into the Matco/Snap-on price range. Any suggestions? This is for my basement so Im not looking for a gigantic unit.

I've seen a nice one at Costco.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

These guys use to make snap-on, mac and a bunch of others...surf there site then find a supplier
    http://www.waterlooindustries.com/index.asp
    Robert

Home Depot has a full line of Husky tool boxes, they are as good as Kennedy too!

Because they are all steel, the shipping would be much higher than local sales tax, so Home Depo or Lowe's is your best bet!

the local homecenter near me sells Clark tool boxes. one of my co workers bought one. all ball bearings, decent metal thickness (at least better than my husky, my cheap husky) i think that he paid around 500 for the whole set. seemed like a good deal to me.

home depot has some decent boxes , sears has gone down hill , their boxes can t handle much weight , one thing i look for in a box is if there is a pull out door to close up the box , ive found boxes that have the drawers exposed tend to collect unwanted chips and such over time

I agree with the costco tool boxes. Heavy guage stainless with nice bearings on all drawers. I have a nice (but older, 1990 +/-) Snap-on and I'd trade it in a second for one of those. Mainly because they're bigger and I need more space but also because I've inspected the quality and they seem up to par with mine. My dad got one and now I'm jealous.

I agree with the others on the costco offering.
    A fellow I work with bought the stainless steel roller cab and top box at costco.
    It's very nice for the money. I spent way too much for a snap on years ago. I would buy the costco one today.

The problem with the Costco ones is the drawers have a friction system to keep them closed. If your shed isn't heated you will have a hell of a time opening the drawers in the cold. Also the drawers don't come out all the way like on a snapon, as the last inch or so of the drawer is still in the cabinet when fully open. This being said, I would buy the costco boxes again, as the fit and finish seem good, but I would gladly spend a little more and have better slides, and positive locks on the handles.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Quote Originally Posted by Genguy View Post
    I agree with the others on the costco offering.
    A fellow I work with bought the stainless steel roller cab and top box at costco.
    It's very nice for the money. I spent way too much for a snap on years ago. I would buy the costco one today.

thanks for all the replies, i'm going to check out the cosco (ill need to get a membership) and home depot husky brand. i hear kobalt isnt too bad either.