584,866 active members*
4,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X2 spindle bearing upgrade

I'm sure this has been covered many times bbefore but didn't find it in my searches.
    so here goes..
    Has anyonne managed to upgrade the spindle bearings for the Seig X2 ( R8 taper)?

I know that top of the line bearings cost more than the machine...
    What is the next step up from what got shipped with the machine?

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/
    McMaster-Carr I found high speed angular bearings that would work with an r8 spindle here for around $48

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    Try http://www.mcmaster.com/
    McMaster-Carr I found high speed angular bearings that would work with an r8 spindle here for around $48
    Have you actually used them?

How would their effect be seen?
    Top RPM?
    Surface finish?
    Spindlle runout?

Anyone?

C'mon, has anyone else upgraded spindle bearings?

bearing upgrade

i have upgraded my spindle on my x2 cnc mill 3 times and finally found bearings that met what i was looking for good finish and can run them at 6500rpm they are jap bearings from (http:\\www.worldbearing.com) same part numbers as oem bearings i love them they made this mill with belt drive a much better mill can get 32 finish on aluminium with these bearings using carbide end mill with flood coolent my mill is mounted on steel surface plate with supports on z axis column

The answer to your questions depends on how well you implement the upgrade and how bad your current set-up is.

A precision spindle not only requires precision bearings but also a precision set-up, not an easy task, that's why off the shelf precision spindles cost so much.

If the stock spindle is set-up correctly you probably wont notice any difference other than in your bank balance. I don't think the stock spindle is a particular weak point on the X2.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by cncuser1 View Post

How would their effect be seen?
    Top RPM?
    Surface finish?
    Spindlle runout?

Hey Phil, what's the best way to set up a spindle with precision? I'm new to spindles.

In fact, any info regarding spindle bearings would help me... e.g. what is C3 fit?

What should the tolerances be between the bearing OD and the bearing block? How about between the bearing ID and the spindle?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    The answer to your questions depends on how well you implement the upgrade and how bad your current set-up is.

A precision spindle not only requires precision bearings but also a precision set-up, not an easy task, that's why off the shelf precision spindles cost so much.

If the stock spindle is set-up correctly you probably wont notice any difference other than in your bank balance. I don't think the stock spindle is a particular weak point on the X2.

Regards
    Phil
    I made a point of not framing my question around precision, silk purse from a sows ear etc.

I am wondering what an acheiveble next step would be.
    So what would that mean as far as improvement in Max RPM, etc.

As fas a weak point is concerned, I agree, I feel it is the best part of the X2.

The reason I made the post is that I am considering buying just a spindle and using it to replace an aging homemade spindle.

What is the procedure to properly set up an X2 spindle.

A starting point would be to read and digest all the opinions in this thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=abec7+nc+cams.

However to avoid adopting inappropriate advice you should not consider "how good can I make my spindle" but "how good does my spindle need to be". There is no upper limit on the price of the “best spindle".

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    Hey Phil, what's the best way to set up a spindle with precision? I'm new to spindles.

In fact, any info regarding spindle bearings would help me... e.g. what is C3 fit?

What should the tolerances be between the bearing OD and the bearing block? How about between the bearing ID and the spindle?

Thanks.

Thanks for the link. Tons of info.