585,781 active members*
4,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3040T Stepping Motors

I recently purchased a 3040T from eBay and set everything up per the manual I found online. Everything seems to work great, motors move and respond to g code; however, when the stepping motors spin nothing happens at all. No parts on the machine move. Is this a common problem? Did I botch the setup of the machine?

I would really appreciate any information and advice

Re: 3040T Stepping Motors

If the motors are spinning, that is you can see the knobs turning on the motors, then chances are you have loose motor couplers. My 3020T had that problem on the Z axis when I got it. Pretty odd all three have the issue but perhaps someone forgot that step during assembly. There's a coupler from the motor shaft to the axis shaft on each with set screws to keep them tight. I would check they are all tight.

Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    If the motors are spinning, that is you can see the knobs turning on the motors, then chances are you have loose motor couplers. My 3020T had that problem on the Z axis when I got it. Pretty odd all three have the issue but perhaps someone forgot that step during assembly. There's a coupler from the motor shaft to the axis shaft on each with set screws to keep them tight. I would check they are all tight.
    This was it, they were all loose. Thanks for the help!!

No problem!

Just a further comment, on my 3020 the Y-Axis motor was coming loose now and then for some reason, i ended up locktighting the set screws with blue locktite, took care of that problem! So if you continue to get creeping on those set screws do them up with some locktite.