584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Commercial Products / Manufacturers Support Forums > CNC4PC > Need guidance to diagnose CNC D&M6 mill problems

Need guidance to diagnose CNC D&M6 mill problems

I purchased a D&M 6 mill and am in the process of trying to get it running. I have installed a CNC4PC C11 BOB and am using the stepper drivers that came with the mill for now. I am using Mach3 but I am not getting any of the motors to move. I can't tell if its a wiring problem or if I am not getting the message from Mach3 to the BOB. I have a new Lenovo tower to run Mach3 and installed a parallel port card and have it connected to the C11.

I know the steppers work as does the spindle but that was all done by direct wiring.

How do I go about troubleshooting this monster? If there is anyone who can provide me with some guidance I would most appreciate it.

Thank you,

Rudy

Re: Need guidance to diagnose CNC D&M6 mill problems

Most of my problems have been traced to the parallel port interface. I bought a reader that displays the output signals to try and figure it out. My general conclusion as a rank amateur is I have had good success when using a native port on an older PC but I've never been able to successfully connect an after market port. My latest project was driving me nuts when my old PC crashed and my replacement wouldn't reliably connect. I switched to the usb smooth steppes and haven't looked back. I'm still running c-10 breakouts and the printer port interface on several machines but if I run into trouble again I'll be very tempted to go smooth stepper.
    Try and find an older pc with a native port if you want to stick with that connection.
    Guy

Re: Need guidance to diagnose CNC D&M6 mill problems

Quote Originally Posted by GUIDOSAN View Post
    Most of my problems have been traced to the parallel port interface. I bought a reader that displays the output signals to try and figure it out. My general conclusion as a rank amateur is I have had good success when using a native port on an older PC but I've never been able to successfully connect an after market port. My latest project was driving me nuts when my old PC crashed and my replacement wouldn't reliably connect. I switched to the usb smooth steppes and haven't looked back. I'm still running c-10 breakouts and the printer port interface on several machines but if I run into trouble again I'll be very tempted to go smooth stepper.
    Try and find an older pc with a native port if you want to stick with that connection.
    Guy
    I can't thank you enough for your reply. I've been thinking it might be the port but your input made me sure of it.

Thanks again.