584,865 active members*
4,852 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > GM215 Firmware Version Check/Update Support

GM215 Firmware Version Check/Update Support

Hi,

I bought a pair of GM215 for some automation tasks from Charter Controls.

The devices came on a bubble bag with a sticker stating to get the latest files.

I powered one of the devices with 24V DC and connected it with the USB-RS485-WE-1800-BT adapter to the PC USB port after installing all the drivers.

I installed GeckoMotion software and successfully connected to the GM215 device. I made a small program to toggle the 3 outputs, compiled it, traced through the code and successfully flashed it to the GM215.

No communications problems so far, the logs all check out.

Using the ds30LoaderGui.exe application and Checking for Boot Loader always fails by time out even though I pulsed IN 1 (Reset) several times with 5 V DC. I have pic24_update06302015.hex file at hand.

Selected the correct Hex-file, PIC24F device; 16KL402; Baud rate 19200 (also tried the standard 115200); Selected the correct USB serial port; Updated the timing values according to the document below.

I used DS30 Bootloader Release Notes.pdf document as reference. The document tells you to turn SW1 to 4 all to ON position for firmware update.

Document GM215 MANUAL REV7B.pdf tells you to select EDIT MODE (SW2 OFF) for firmware update. Which one is right?

What am I missing here?

Not many people posting about this product.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Re: GM215 Firmware Version Check/Update Support

A prompt answer from Gecko Tech Support Team:

"The Bootloader Release Notes are the correct ways of updating the firmware. It sounds like you may not be hitting the RESET button on the GM215, which can be accessed by removing the cover and locating it near TRIM1 and TRIM2. It will be a yellow in color button switch that should be pressed when the DS30 is searching for the drive.

We will be releasing an updated manual in the coming days that will make this less confusing."

I was confusing the "Reset Switch" with the interior "Reset Button" from which I have no written reference. The support team is working on it.