585,962 active members*
3,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Leadshine > MX4660 Speed Control for 2.2 KW huanyang vfd

Hybrid View

MX4660 Speed Control for 2.2 KW huanyang vfd

Does anyone have any idea on how to interface the MX4660 to the 2.2 KW Huanyang VFD and control it in Mach3?

Thanks for any help

Re: MX4660 Speed Control for 2.2 KW huanyang vfd

I found this if it helps anyone else.Attachment 306550

I have the same setup, and I have mine connected this same way, however I can only get 9.8k RPM from Mach3 control of the spindle. I can get the full 24k when manually controlling it.

Did you get everything setup and running at or at least close to the 24k rpm, I am fine with even 18-20k but less than 10 just is not enough.

--Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmany View Post
    I have the same setup, and I have mine connected this same way, however I can only get 9.8k RPM from Mach3 control of the spindle. I can get the full 24k when manually controlling it.

Did you get everything setup and running at or at least close to the 24k rpm, I am fine with even 18-20k but less than 10 just is not enough.

--Paul
    Sounds like you are close. Check the following VFD settings:

PD070: 0 (0 – 10 volt analog)
    PD072: 400 (higher analog frequency)

Also verify your MACH3 Pulley values are set with a top RPM of 24,000.

If you are still having problems you can check the analog voltage going to the VFD when you have MACH3 set at 24,000 rpm. You should see about 8.6 volts. If much lower, the problem is with the MACH configuration, otherwise there is something not correct with your VFD setup.

Joe

My PD070 is 0 and 72 is 400
    The pulley value is at 24,000
    and I am seeing the ~8.X voltage

It seems like I have everything setup correctly, but am missing something somewhere.

I did find this bit of documentation:
    Along with this is how to configure Mach3.

however I am not sure where I should connect the Blue and Blue white to my VFD.

I also have a jumper between the FOR, and DCM(Com) without that Mach3 does not control the spindle at all. As per http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...0&d=1454345934

Quote Originally Posted by pmany View Post
    My PD070 is 0 and 72 is 400
    The pulley value is at 24,000
    and I am seeing the ~8.X voltage

It seems like I have everything setup correctly, but am missing something somewhere.

I did find this bit of documentation:
    Along with this is how to configure Mach3.

however I am not sure where I should connect the Blue and Blue white to my VFD.

I also have a jumper between the FOR, and DCM(Com) without that Mach3 does not control the spindle at all. As per http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...0&d=1454345934
    I would not recommend connecting the digital outputs of the MX4660 directly to the VFD Forward or Reverse inputs, see the earlier post by Dekman. The documentation I have for the Huanyang VFD does not state the electrical characteristics of the FOR and REV Multi-Input signals. They may be buffered and only require a small current or they may be connected directly to higher current relays in the VFD. I don’t know and rather than risk damaging the MX4660 I opted to use a separate relay control board that I know has buffered inputs and won’t damage the MX4660.

If the VFD FOR input is low current and buffered then you would connect the MX4660 Output+ to the VFD DCM connector and the Output- to the VFD FOR connector. Similar for the REV signal, the Output+ to the VFD DCM and the Output- to the VFD REV connector. Do this at your own risk, it may or may not work, all depends on how much current the FOR and REV signals require. Also, if the VFD inputs go directly to an onboard relay coil that does not have a back EMF suppressing diode, you could damage the MX4660 output. If we had more detailed documentation or a schematic for the VFD we could determine if it is safe to directly connect, otherwise the safe route is to use a relay control board as described in the earlier post.

If you are still stuck with the low spindle speed I could post all (or most) of my VFD settings, will take a while to heat up the garage and get all the values, 16 degrees outside right now.

Joe2014 was really helpful and sent me his schematic as well as link the relay setup he used . I will ask if he mind that I share it.

please share the schematic

The MX4660 schematic is not released, there is a channel to output analog signal to control VFD. Refer to page19 http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/...4660d_V1.2.pdf
    PIN14 for PWM on DB25, PWM pulse input. Used to get the PWM signal from the controller which will bethen transformed into an analog signal to an external device connected at“0-10V out” pin of the analog output connector (CN8 on Figure 3), such as aVFD for spindle speed control.

This is from Joe2014
    Using the MX4660 Controller with a VFD

The 6 outputs of the MX4660 are each an optical isolator in series with a 1,000 ohm resistor and this limits how the outputs can be used. If you want to control a device that uses 12 volts, the 1,000 ohm series resistor limits you to a maximum of 12 ma current, probably not enough to do much more than light up an LED. To use the outputs to control the Forward and Reverse signals of a VFD you will need to add some type of driver device, typically a relay with a driver on the coil side since the 12 ma output is not enough to reliably control even a small relay.

I used a simple relay driver board similar to New 4 Channel 5V Relay Module Board Shield for Pic AVR DSP Arm MCU Arduino H | eBay . These are quite small and inexpensive, under $3.00 for a quad relay board and the 4 relays not only let you control a VFD using 2 of the relay circuits but you will also have an additional 2 circuits to control a mist pump, dust extractor or spindle cooling system. The relay board also provides isolation protection for the MX controller which is important since you don’t want to destroy such an expensive device. You could also go with just a similar 2 relay board if all you want to do is control the VFD.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	307848

Quote Originally Posted by Dekman View Post
    This is from Joe2014

The 6 outputs of the MX4660 are each an optical isolator in series with a 1,000 ohm resistor and this limits how the outputs can be used. If you want to control a device that uses 12 volts, the 1,000 ohm series resistor limits you to a maximum of 12 ma current, probably not enough to do much more than light up an LED. To use the outputs to control the Forward and Reverse signals of a VFD you will need to add some type of driver device, typically a relay with a driver on the coil side since the 12 ma output is not enough to reliably control even a small relay.

I used a simple relay driver board similar to New 4 Channel 5V Relay Module Board Shield for Pic AVR DSP Arm MCU Arduino H | eBay . These are quite small and inexpensive, under $3.00 for a quad relay board and the 4 relays not only let you control a VFD using 2 of the relay circuits but you will also have an additional 2 circuits to control a mist pump, dust extractor or spindle cooling system. The relay board also provides isolation protection for the MX controller which is important since you don’t want to destroy such an expensive device. You could also go with just a similar 2 relay board if all you want to do is control the VFD.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	307848
    I got the 4 Channel 5V Relay described in this post. Is there a 6 pin plug that will fit the GND, IN1-4, Vcc input pins? Or how did other people connect to this Relay? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
    I got the 4 Channel 5V Relay described in this post. Is there a 6 pin plug that will fit the GND, IN1-4, Vcc input pins? Or how did other people connect to this Relay? Thanks.
    Any thoughts by anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dekman View Post
    This is from Joe2014

I know this is an old post, but I had found it recently when researching how to wire up my Leadshine MX4660 with the 2.2kW Huanyang VFD. I had jumpered the FOR signal with DCM to get things running. Once I got the spindle up and running I ran the jumper through the current setting on a voltmeter (actually 2 to double check) and both read 2.3 mA. The documentation I have on the MX4660 lists 70 mA for the outputs. So I hooked the FOR and DCM wires directly to the output (Output 6+ and 6-, respectively in my case). This also worked in initial testing.

Quote Originally Posted by GregRF View Post
    I know this is an old post, but I had found it recently when researching how to wire up my Leadshine MX4660 with the 2.2kW Huanyang VFD. I had jumpered the FOR signal with DCM to get things running. Once I got the spindle up and running I ran the jumper through the current setting on a voltmeter (actually 2 to double check) and both read 2.3 mA. The documentation I have on the MX4660 lists 70 mA for the outputs. So I hooked the FOR and DCM wires directly to the output (Output 6+ and 6-, respectively in my case). This also worked in initial testing.
    Yes, any of the outputs should work for the On/Off of the VFD Drive, or if they have a relay board the Rely can be turned On/Off as well, using a Relay can make it a safer system for the operator
    Mactec54

Who sell this kind of circuits, many people need the circuit to control vfd and probe?