584,846 active members*
4,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Weird Mach issue

I had a very weird issue today. I did a toolchange and when I went to start the spindle didn't start. So I stopped the program and I could turn on the spindle from mach. I went to cut again and then the Y didn't move. Luckily I caught it before I messed my part up. So I restarted mach and everything worked. Then the spindle wouldn't start again. So I played with it and the spindle would sometimes turn on. So I am thinking it is the bob or the smoothstepper which would bum my whole day out. So I get it not to start and I press the diagnostics tab and the spindle starts. So I press the program button and it shuts off. Back and forth and the spindle will start when I get off the program tab. So I now think it must be mach doing this. I went back and forth a bunch and every time it did it. I shut down and restarted and I was able to finish my cut.

So I am assuming I should reinstall mach correct? Can I just install on top of it? Does it wipe out my tooltable and machine definitions?

Any help would be appreciated!
    -Keith

Re: Weird Mach issue

I had all sorts of weirdness with Mach even after reinstalling. I switched to pathpilot and am in love with it.

Check the Mach setup config file for duplicate settings. Mach 3 has a tendency to corrupt itself by duplicating its own settings.

Which BOB do you have on it? I had some issues similar to that with the old style BOB on the Pulsar.
    Mach 3 glitches are very rare with the newer Arduino Bob.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Which BOB do you have on it? I had some issues similar to that with the old style BOB on the Pulsar.
    Mach 3 glitches are very rare with the newer Arduino Bob.
    Rare, hmm 3 reinstalls in 3 months was the last straw for me.

Don't get me wrong. Glitches still happen with Mach 3. We snapped a drill bit the other day for no reason at all other than Mach 3 forgot to use the tools offset from the table. It had been using that bit fine all day and continued to use a replacement fine afterward. No excuse other than being unreliable. That is the cheapest tool that it could have broken, but still it would have caused down line failures with taps etc if it were on an atc.
    I have been watching the Path Pilot thread with interest.
    Lee

I have a relative new bob. Not sure on the version but it is the audrino. I will check the config file first and then I guess reinstall.

Am I going to lose my tooltable if I reinstall?

Thanks guys!
    -Keith

I always copy the entire folder as a backup.
    That's not really necessary, but it works well for me.

It should not overwrite the tool table, but......it is a rebel of a piece of software. Always doing what it shouldn't.
    Lee

Try using a backup .xml file from the xmlbackups folder, from a few days back when it was working fine.

When it is working fine, make a copy of the .xml.
    My Mach3 install has been fine for 7 years, but the .xml file went bad twice.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well I went down to cut some stuff tonight after reinstalling mach and the computer was acting weird. Probably should have checked to make sure the keyboard didn't have crap in it that was causing a keystick. Whoops!

-Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keithmcelhinney View Post
    Well I went down to cut some stuff tonight after reinstalling mach and the computer was acting weird. Probably should have checked to make sure the keyboard didn't have crap in it that was causing a keystick. Whoops!

-Keith
    This one might actually not be a whoops at all. My computer will often mimic a sticking key. I first noticed it while jogging. After releasing the jog keys it would continue at full speed until it hits a limit or I hit the escape key to stop it. Of course this process makes it lose sync between the position and where it thinks it is. So I would have to re home and to be sure I would reset the work offsets also. This frustration would continue for some time. Eventually I learned if the key appears to stick it will continue at random times. I learned to just shut down mach and restart it. The problem is then gone for a while at least. The good news is this problem shows up during setup before a cycle is started.

I find mach to be buggy and weird. For example today I was doing some tool path testing as I will need to make a tooling plate. I made a row of 7 holes. I drilled through with a 1/4" drill then followed up with a 1/4" end mill to bore the holes to size. 6 were good plus or minus a thou. One however was .005 undersized. I don't know if I should blame mach or the cad. I think I'm going to start paying more attention to the Path Pilot thread.

I definitely know it was my keyboard. I opened notepad and it just started filling it up with"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..."

I have noteced that if you get a popup in mach and use the jog wheel it will keep running even after you stoped turning the wheel. Same thing if you are editing the Gcode in notepad while joging.
    Made By Viklund

Quote Originally Posted by MBViklund View Post
    I have noteced that if you get a popup in mach and use the jog wheel it will keep running even after you stoped turning the wheel. Same thing if you are editing the Gcode in notepad while joging.
    I'll have to pay attention to this next time it happens. I only use the mach jog wheel for switching only. For example switching from step to continuous. I use the actual keyboard for jogging. I'm looking forward to the arrival of a pendant.

Tom