I am upgrading from my G0704 4th axis CNC to a PM-940M mill, which I plan to CNC over the next couple week/month..

Here is a quick background. I bought a G0704 mill at the beginning of 2012 and about mid year I finally got the CNC kit installed. At this point I still didn't really know how to create drawings or cut anything.. I spent countless hours over the next 2.5 year getting to where I am now..

Here is the current G0704 that I am still making parts on:

I had been thinking about upgrading my machine since projects never seem to slow down. I need a machine that can do more in less time and allow me to have a larger envelope for heavy/larger project.

I have watched hundreds of YouTube videos and asked the right questions to some of my machinist friends who know what I am after and what will fit my needs. The Precision Matthews PM-940M machine seems to fit my budget and envelope for work. My current G0704 (with the vise mounted) gives me 4.5" x 16.1" of travel. Now I can get slightly more if I remove the vise and 4th axis but with those mounted those are my travels. This new PM-940M allows for 12" x 28" of travel, so this will once again allow for heavy/larger work pieces.

Here is what the new Mill looks like:

From the above pictures you can tell I am moving from a 350lbs machine to a 1300lbs machine. I certainly have my work cutout for me.

The plan is to use the G0704 to cut all my mounting plates. Once the PM-940M is 100% up and running I will clean and tune the G0704 and put it on the market.

I will be doing short videos of the progress along the way.

[MEDIA=youtube]RwLKf-eYUqc[/MEDIA]

I ad a few friends come over yesterday and e go it onto the base, so the real CNC conversion can start now.