584,842 active members*
4,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Have I just blown my PSU because I wired up a stepper controller wrong? PLEASE HELP!!

Have I just blown my PSU because I wired up a stepper controller wrong? PLEASE HELP!!

Hi all,

I'm brand new to stepper motors but have spent alot of time looking at online documentation and videos trying to understand how they work. The least of my worries was the correct wireing set-up as this appears to have been done so many times before. I selected the appropriate Nema motor and driver plus PSU and with the addition of an UNO I thought I was ready to play.

However when I attached the power cable to the PSU the power to the Stepper controller and turned it on it popped after about 1 second???? I don't know what I have done wrong and am looking for advice or help if possible?

Below is the email I sent to Omc-Stepper online who I bought the parts from, including a photo of how it was wired up.

Thanks again.

/////////////////

Hi,

I have recently bought a

1 No Nema 34 Hybrid 12Nm Stepper Motor
    1 No Stepper Driver ( MA860H )
    1 No 350W Power Supply ( S-350-60 )

I first set the Voltage to 110V using the switch on the side

I Attached the Power Cable

I Attached the V+ & V- to the stepper driver as shown in the image

I set the SW pins to 3.2 Amp for the Stepper motor attached.

I then turned it on.

Both the power light on the PSU and the Stepper controller lit green for about 1 second then the Power supply Popped! Now both the power suppy and I suspect the Stepper controller are fried?

I am sure I followed the wireing up information correctly.

Your quick response would be appreciated, I need to finish this stage of the product this week!

Please advise

Best regards

Jason

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=306558&stc=1
    ///////////////////////

Re: Have I just blown my PSU because I wired up a stepper controller wrong? PLEASE HE

Are you sure the stepper motor is wired correctly?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Have I just blown my PSU because I wired up a stepper controller wrong? PLEASE HE

Hi Jason

seeing your from the UK the power supply mains input selector should of been set to 240V AC not 120V AC
    when the 240V is selected
    the full wave rectified mains gives you about 340V DC which is then converted to 60DC

then 120V AC is selected
    the switch adds a link to arrange the rectifiers as a voltage doubler to give 340V DC

selecting 120V when connected to 240V will subject various parts to 680V
    usually the two main electrolytic capacitors for instance are likely two 200V DC capacitors wired in series and act as a 400V capacitor

I'd expect one or more components on the mains side of the power supply has failed and blown the internal fuse

there is a good chance the power supply output stayed at 60V until the fuse blow

the stepper driver and stepper motor should be OK

John

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    Hi Jason

seeing your from the UK the power supply mains input selector should of been set to 240V AC not 120V AC
    when the 240V is selected
    the full wave rectified mains gives you about 340V DC which is then converted to 60DC

then 120V AC is selected
    the switch adds a link to arrange the rectifiers as a voltage doubler to give 340V DC

selecting 120V when connected to 240V will subject various parts to 680V
    usually the two main electrolytic capacitors for instance are likely two 200V DC capacitors wired in series and act as a 400V capacitor

I'd expect one or more components on the mains side of the power supply has failed and blown the internal fuse

there is a good chance the power supply output stayed at 60V until the fuse blow

the stepper driver and stepper motor should be OK

John
    Thanks John,

I feel like an idiot for selecting 115V! I got lost in the manual for the stepper controller motor and driver and the mention of 110VDC everywhere and for some reason thought the 115V setting was the better match! It wasn't until I posted this comment and started reading it out aloud I realised what I had done. Thanks for the extra info regarding the result of my error, I can see now how much load the PSU would have taken and imagine the build up before it popped. I did connect a much smaller 240V power supply to the stepper motor controller which I think should have powered the controller but the led on the controller doesn't light up anymore ( I may have killed it ). I have however ordered a replacment PSU and controller so can hopefully continue where I left off and try the old controller again with the new PSU to see if that makes a difference.

Just another quick question though.

On the stepper controller there appears to be 2 AC inputs but no indication as to which one is for positive and which is for negative, like I have seen in nearly all other stepper motor controllers?

In the wiring diagram it shows 2 inputs like below?

18-80 VAC ( Where I put my negative wire from the PSU )
    20-110VDC ( Where I put my positive wire from the PSU )

I really don't want to blow anything else up, do you know if I at least had this bit correct?

I have run smaller stepper motors using the arduino but never one as big as a Nema 34. Once I get the power supply hooked up I should be home free

Thanks again

Jason

Attachment 306596

Quote Originally Posted by Jason187781 View Post
    Thanks John,

I feel like an idiot for selecting 115V! I got lost in the manual for the stepper controller motor and driver and the mention of 110VDC everywhere and for some reason thought the 115V setting was the better match! It wasn't until I posted this comment and started reading it out aloud I realised what I had done. Thanks for the extra info regarding the result of my error, I can see now how much load the PSU would have taken and imagine the build up before it popped. I did connect a much smaller 240V power supply to the stepper motor controller which I think should have powered the controller but the led on the controller doesn't light up anymore ( I may have killed it ). I have however ordered a replacment PSU and controller so can hopefully continue where I left off and try the old controller again with the new PSU to see if that makes a difference.

Just another quick question though.

On the stepper controller there appears to be 2 AC inputs but no indication as to which one is for positive and which is for negative, like I have seen in nearly all other stepper motor controllers?

In the wiring diagram it shows 2 inputs like below?

18-80 VAC ( Where I put my negative wire from the PSU )
    20-110VDC ( Where I put my positive wire from the PSU )

I really don't want to blow anything else up, do you know if I at least had this bit correct?

I have run smaller stepper motors using the arduino but never one as big as a Nema 34. Once I get the power supply hooked up I should be home free

Thanks again

Jason

Attachment 306596
    If that is an original Leadshine driver then you can connect both AC or DC to drive the motors with. Here is the manual.

If you can hook AC or DC to the driver then it must have a built in rectification circuit. So it doesn't matter which is - or + when hooking up DC.