585,712 active members*
4,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Npt thread milling

Npt thread milling

When creating a tool in gibbscam for threading you cannot create a tapered thread mill for doing npt ports. wondering if anyone has any good work arounds to achieve good threads I want to make some template incremental programs and use them as sub routines. I am originally a mastercam user and am switching to gibbs but cutting npts in mc is easy as it lets you define your tapered cutter . Does anyone have a good solution for me for npt

Re: Npt thread milling

I know nothing about Gibbscam but found this, maybe it can help.

Jeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP5GD_6d3oM

Quote Originally Posted by jredbolurne View Post
    When creating a tool in gibbscam for threading you cannot create a tapered thread mill for doing npt ports. wondering if anyone has any good work arounds to achieve good threads I want to make some template incremental programs and use them as sub routines. I am originally a mastercam user and am switching to gibbs but cutting npts in mc is easy as it lets you define your tapered cutter . Does anyone have a good solution for me for npt
    when you go and select your tool, you will see form, & then select custom, here you can make your tapered tool, this may do the job for you
    Mactec54

Version 10.3 which is in beta now adds defining muli-tooth thread mills with taper for NPT thread milling. works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by mcode View Post
    Version 10.3 which is in beta now adds defining muli-tooth thread mills with taper for NPT thread milling. works like a charm.
    I have 10.71, and the latest but have not loaded it yet, your 10.3 is a bit behind , where do you find how to make a tapered thread mill, I'm sure it's there but have not had to use it, I have done many regular threads with it, with no problems
    Mactec54

Sorry, fat fingered that one, 11.3 beta, the help file contains the new features and shows the tool dialog for the new Full Profile Thread Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by mcode View Post
    Sorry, fat fingered that one, 11.3 beta, the help file contains the new features and shows the tool dialog for the new Full Profile Thread Mill.
    Are great must load up Gibbs latest software, I have had the new update for a while, and knew there were some new features, so now i will have to install it, and see why we pay maintenance
    Mactec54

I downloaded gibbscam 2016 and it is awesome for thread milling now you can create the tools and control the tool path much better thanks for the heads up mcode

I contacted my reseller of gibbscam yesterday and was informed not to use gibbscam 2016 yet as it is in beta and is not intended for full use until it is in production status . just a heads up for anyone trying to make code with 2016

Quote Originally Posted by jredbolurne View Post
    I contacted my reseller of gibbscam yesterday and was informed not to use gibbscam 2016 yet as it is in beta and is not intended for full use until it is in production status . just a heads up for anyone trying to make code with 2016
    I spoke with a Gibb Cam Tec yesterday as well he said the same thing,He also said it has lots of bugs, so go careful if you use it, It may be good for your thread milling though, and use, 2015 for all your normal milling, I always keep at least one version back, until you know the next version has been release,and it is working correctly , when something is in Beta you never know what is going to happen, if you can read your output G-code program, you may save yourself from any trouble
    Mactec54